amplifer for old tv earphone jack?

Does anyone know of a low-to moderately priced amplifier suitable for plugging into the earphone jack on a 10 or 20 year old TV, whose output only has to be one or two steps higher than the input, to power my woofer and midrange**. Checking Amazon and ebay, I only find expensive things, 100's of dollars, and things for telephones and computers. . Maybe I'm not searching on the right words.

Well, this is sort of what I had in mind

but it's a pre-amp for magnetic phonograph cartidges to get the output to be as high as the older style (?) cartridges made, to plug into an amp. It certainly won't power a speaker iiuc.

Thanks a lot.

Details.

**or maybe a tweeter. It's been 30 years since I mounted the speaker board in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They came from a 1930's phonograph/radio, and worked well up until 4 years ago, when the tube TV in my bathroom broke. I posted about this a couple years ago, how the newer transistor TV was too weak, or something, to power the speakers, and nice folks here told me impedance didn't match, or something.

So for a year or two I've tried to use the little built in speaker and the electronic remote control***. It seemed to work okay, so-so, but the tinnitus in one ear got worse last year, and the Ear Nose doc tells me at age 66 my hearing is not as good as it was. Most of the time no problem, but watching tv in the bathroom has become is a real problem.

***As opposed to the wired volume control I mounted in the wall nxext tot he bathtu and near the toilet, in the wires between the mini-phone plug and the speakers.
Reply to
micky

This is, in principle, a legitimate question. But the content and -- uh -- tone of the thing sound decidedly like a put-on.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I think a good book is a better (and safer) source of inspiration when using the bathroom ;-). TV - sheesh! Tom

Reply to
hifi-tek

That phonograph amp is fishy. Gee, computer speakers sometimes have jacks, and on eBay, how many used amps can I count.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I've tried books and magazines in the tub and it's too hard to keep them from getting wet.. Also, even in my "modern", that is, shallow tub, the shelf I made, designed so it can't slip into the water, is too high to comfortably rest my arms on it. Once I let my arms and hands go into the water, then I can't change the page without getting the book wet.

This was all a big disappointment. I wouldn't have made the shelf if I didnt' want to read. But that's the way it is. (Reading while I take a shower seems even less practical than when taking a bath.)

As to the toilet, I don't spend enough time on it to read anything. It's the other way around. When I'm in the middle of watching a tv show in another room and I have to go to the toilet but don't want to not lose track of the tv show, that's the only time I have the tv on.

Reply to
micky

Good point. For the last 35 yearrs or more, an electrical outlet near the sink in a bathroom,or kitchen (or near a laundry tub, maybe) , and any outdoor receptacle has to be GFI (or the newer Arc-something) so that any inequality in current between the hot and neutral trips the breaker.

In my house, , 34 years old, there is one GFI breaker in the breaker box, and it powers all the receptacles near water and probably nothing else. Since then, individual GFI and Arc-fault receptacles have become popular, and one of them will also protect any receptacle downstream from a GFI

The receptacle is by the door, 6 or 8 feet from the tub. I can't reach it or the tv resting on the counter also at the far end of the room. There is no receptacle between the sink and the tub (although I don't know if one would be legal or not. Maybe not. )

I used to worry about adjusting the volume, but I measured the voltages on the sound output jack and it was low. Plus I dry my hand before I adjust it, and it has a big plastic knob over the metal shaft of the potentiometer. And iirc, the shaft is not connected to the circuit. Anyhow, after 20 years I stopped worrying.

Usually a bath takes about a half-hour.

Reply to
micky

Nope. I also had a phone handset in the bathroom until I had trouble with the phone wiring in general and I went to cordless phones. In the wall plate with the telephone jack, I also put in a toggle to answer the phone with, a piezo "ringer", a switch to turn the ringer off, and a neon light to show if the phone was ringing when the ringer was off. I don't get many calls when I'm in the tub, but over 25 years, they mount up. I hung the handset from the towel bar. When I finally move, I'm taking this with me.

Thanks for the idea.

I'm using a computer speaker in the bedoom, with a tv with somewhat garbled sound. I guess it is a bad speaker because the sound from the add-on speaker is fine.

But in the bathroom I want to use the better speakers, a 12" woofer and an 8" midrange, that cmae from the record player. It will also allow me to easily adjust the volume using a knob, instead of a remote control which is inconvenient, takes longer, and I might end up dropping in the water.

Although adjust the volume seems to be less necessary since the middle of December when the law against raising the volume on commercials went into effect. It must have really made a difference, since I don't remember turning it down and then up with each commercial, on any tv in the last month.

Reply to
micky

Try working as a broadcast engineer, running film all day. You are the only one in the building for up to 20 hours, and the bathroom is on the other end of the large complex. When does the film break?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sandblasting would be faster. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You could probably write off Depends as a legitimate business expense.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There are at least two problems with that idea:

1: Not in the US Army 2: They didn't exist when TV was mostly 16 mm film.

Sometimes you just had to let the projector sit dormant while you took care of business. OTOH, I could reload the film, and splice the break with the projector running since the splice bench was just a few feet from the film chain island. Regular film was easy to splice, but Kinescope was a PITA.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or a big bottle from apple juice.

Reply to