earphone output

I had tried to attach a new earphone to a walkman.

The earphone is made in china, and its plug is not compatible with the walkman input.

After cutting the wire, I replaced the plug with a correctly sized one.

However, there is no response from the speakers, not even a beep.

Please note that the earphones were alright before the cutting.

Anybody have any clue what happened..?

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
steve

You wired it up wrong.

Reply to
Flaps_50!

tach a new earphone to a walkman.

Wired wrong. Wrong type of earphone. (maybe you are trying to use a mono headphone in a stereo jack socket?) Broken wire? Short circuit where wires connect to plug? Plug is NOT the right size after all (e.g. tip is too short to reach or the tip and sleeve of the plug are not in the correct relation ship to make contact within socket. You can test the connections from earphone to plug by very momentarily connecting a 1.5 volt battery to the two wires. If it clicks the circuit from plug to head phone is OK. Remember touch the battery only 'momentarily' (just a quick touch!).

Reply to
stan

Did you reconnect 4 wires or two wires? I'll bet a nickel it was two. Mike

Reply to
amdx

ke- Hide quoted text -

Or 3 if a common or shield?????

Reply to
stan

Some of the "China Made" earphones use enamelled wires of different colors. Normally there will be 4 wires and 2 of them are of the same color. Connect the same colored wires together to the sleeve and the other 2 different colored wires to the tip and ring.

Don't forget to scratch the wires with sand paper and tin it properly before soldering.

Some more info is available here:

Allen

Reply to
Allen Bong

Thanks to everyone for their views.

These goddamm wires are so tiny, I cannot see whether there are two, three or more.

Will get back soon as I locate the magnifying equipment

Steve

ke- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
steve