Old Motorola TV model ???

I am in the process of resotring several old tv's given to me deveral years ago. I am now trying to figure out a 10" Motorola tv without any model number. The back of the set is missing. Inside the wooden cabinet, the sticker on the side is missing except for a tiny scrap with no writing. Only info is stampings on the metal chassis.

222453, TS53, 3M50. The set appears to be about 1948 - 50, but that is not much help. The H + V + Brightness controls are all on the back chassis. The cabinet has been painted so no other info there.

Any help in identifying greatly appreciated so I can try to find a schematic.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Bob is it this one?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Wesner

Chassis number TD53 is in the Sams database as a Quasar model, in Photofact folder 115-7. You should be able to buy a copy of that folder from Sams.

You might be able to find somebody who has that folder and would be willing to copy it for you.

Cheers!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

It sure looks the same. My set does have a 12" tube, contrary to what I posted earlier - 10". It is in the garage and I didn't measure carefully enough in the half-darkness.

I just checked and I have Photofact 115, pulled out the Motorola folder - BINGO!!! ts53 is shown on the photofact.

I am assuming the voltage doubler in the power supply uses selenium rectifiers, I haven't turned the set on yet or pulled the chassis, so I don't know if I will receive the selenium smell or the electrolytic explosion noise first. Maybe I'll be lucky and neither. I will bring the set up on a variac just to play it safe.

Thanks VERY much, hope I can help someone else someday.

BTW, I do have a lot of old photofact folders, if you need something, let me look and see what I have. I can scan and send.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Sams.http://www.samswebsite.com/photofacts.html

the

I initially searched Sams for the TS53 and didn't find it, so came to this group next. Just now I checked and I have photofact folder 115 and the schematic is there. Now I have to decide if I want to do the cabinet as well as the electronics. Will leave the cabinet till I see how the set works after restoring, esp the pix tube.

I have a lot of old photofact folders, let me know if you need anything copied.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

If the set appears to be about 1948, it's not a Quasar.

TS53 looked like Moto's type of chassis number.

--
"This, then, is the essence of Gore's complaint:
there are too many humans and they are too well off."

Great, see there was a reason that you kept that old Photofact many years ago!

You will probably hear a little pop and then nothing. Many of those hot chassis sets used a fusible resistor in front of the seleniums. It will, I guarantee, pop if it hasn't already done so.

You are very welcome and thanks for the offer, will keep it in mind. Do post as you work on this set, some of us will find it very interesting.

Fred Wesner San Jose, CA

Reply to
Fred Wesner

Yeah, I made a typo on the chassis number.. . meant to say the TS53. I saw the manufacturer listed as Quasar rather than Motorola in the Sams index. I didn't think the Quasar line didn't appear until the solid state sets were marketed. Probably some techie at Sams just made some wrong selections when creating the index.

If the set has been in the attic for many years, I'd recommend that you replace all the electrolytic capacitors first.. before turning the set on. Especially the caps on the B+ line. If you have a leaky B+ filter cap, it might well take the rectifier and power transformer out before it gets warmed up. Those power transformers are not easy to find, and will be quite expensive if you can find one.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

start here:

snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

If you use the electronic Sams Photofact index, keep in mind that they list all of the early Motorola under "QUASAR".

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Tell that to SAMS Publishing. They list all early Motorola models as "QUASAR". I emailed them about it about a year ago, and never got a reply.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Leave it to Sams. I never heard the word "Quasar" in relation to a television before what, early seventies? just before Motorola mercifully went out of the television business.

--
"This, then, is the essence of Gore's complaint:
there are too many humans and they are too well off."
 -- Robert Tracinski
Reply to
clifto

I think that the company that created and maintains the electronic index for Sams Publishing decided that it was all "Quasar" because that was the name Motorola sold (along with their consumer electronics division) to Matsushita (Panasonic), in spite of the fact that there was more models branded Motorola than ever had the Quasar name.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sam's apparently made that classification change long ago, well before the online electronic index.

The 1992 (paper) index here in my hands indicates that Motorola Auto & CB Radio products will be found under "Motorola", and that Motorola Home Radio, TV, and Tape products will be found under "Quasar".

Reply to
jim menning

online

Tape

My last printed index still listed them as Motorola, and I haven't seen it in years.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Radio

and

I actually keep several editions handy. In the early years of Sam's indexes, many of the radios and TVs were listed both by model and chassis number. Locating schematics by chassis numbers has come in handy often over the years.

Reply to
jim menning

Radio

and

many of

schematics

Mine were in storage when I got sick, and lost my job, then the warehouse.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida