American power connector

I've moved to N America from Europe and I'm changing some power connector.
My Question now is, when I look from the front on the connector, Ground on
the bottom, is the phase on the left or on the right? I unfortunately don't
have a phase tester handy.

Thanks,
Ron
--
chEErs roN

Re: American power connector
I spent some time in Sweden, where it is 220 single phase 50 HZ. In the US,
it is 120V 60 HZ single phase. there is a hot a neutral and ground (earth).
You can wire up "stuff" for 220, which is still single phase (is you go
across both sides and not reference ground). Some co-workers Sweden used the
electric dryer socket to get the power they needed for some of their
"stuff". Most electronics use switching supplies, so they will work from 100
to 250 VAC.
As for the outlet, the at it, there are 3 holes the one on the left is
neutral (the return) which is a bigger blade so it can't be plugged into the
hot lead. the hot is on the right, and ground (earth) is the round one on
the bottom.
On 220 outlets, they look like this
__   __

    O   the 2 at the top are 220, the bottom is earth
Good Luck
Frank

don't

Re: American power connector

Which is line/live ? In the UK red was the live conductor for many decades (now
brown in conformity with other European countries).

Graham

Re: American power connector

In the U.S., 110VAC service, 'live' is black, and neutral is white.
Go figure.

It's always been my cynical view that this 'plan' was put in place by a
consortium of electricians to kill off do-it-yourselfers that would
assume the color coding would be rational and logical.

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

For an Englishman, the US colo(u)r code is easy to remember.
Think 'Black Death' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death ).
We used to have green for earth (ground) - but, for a long time, now
green and yellow. Close enough. Think 'England's green and pleasant
land' - 'land' = ground. The only problem is white - a sort-of 'neutral'
colo(u)r, I suppose.
--
Ian

Re: American power connector

Just don't get "Black = dark, cold; White = white hot" burned into your
brain.  :-)

Jonesy

Re: American power connector

 Trouble is a colour which is logical to one ain't to another. Ground
(earth) is usually a shade of brown - but not with electrics.

 Think the unified Euro colours - green/yellow for ground, blue neutral
and brown line was arrived at to allow a colour blind person to
differentiate between them rather than any other logic.

It's one thing I'd be in favour of having a world wide standard for - and
also car wiring colours.

--
*Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: American power connector

Black is live, red is also used as live, most often in a 240V circuit where
you have live on both sides. White is neutral which connects to ground in
the panel.

Re: American power connector

Right. Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, familiar with that one.