Subject Author Posted Replies

Rubber beading on high voltage cable insulation
Hey all, Just curious what you think about this. The photos at the link are showing large gauge wire used on a vintage 600 VDC rail vehicle. We're talking 1930's electric streetcar technology....
5
5

Radio Reception - Massive Electrical Interference
Hi! I just moved to an apartment and wanted to keep my radio in the bathroom, same as I did in the last place I lived. Only problem with this place is that the main electrical drop to the building is...
14
14

duff screen detection.
Just finished relamping a very modest flat screen, only to discover that the screen itself was damaged. Any way to see this without backlighting? RL
3
3

Re: VCR plays color tapes in B&W only?
Check the luminance/chrominance [luma/chroma] circuitry that controls the picture output in black and white and color. I would check the 3.58 MHz crystal oscillator also on the video output as well....
10
10

Olson Components
All: This last Saturday, we went to a 'flea market' in Freeland, PA (Freeland Marketplace), that, while otherwise utterly depressing, had in one obscure corner an Olson stereo integrated tube...
1
1

Motorola transceivers.
Hi, I was given the Motorola transceivers visible here. concerned about the acquisition can email me, peter at easthope dot ca . Can the two models, Mag One BPR40 and CLS1413, interoperate? If so what...
11
11

Re: NABER Certification
I too received my NABER certification paperwork and card back around 1986. I recall having to drive up to L.A. from San Diego and taking a long test covering all type of electronic, RF, Television and...
4
4

1970s Flymo (21") ignition
My ancient Flymo points are worn out and the original Ducati set of points is now unobtanium - so I thought this looks like a good solution and benefits from not having to dismantle to set the points...

Repurposing a Dell power brick
I have a Dell AC power adapter, model ADP-150BB B which I'd like to re-purpose as a 12 volt power supply. It's rated 12 volts 12.5 amps, which might make a good battery charger. It worked when last...
10
10

What is an EMF meter really for?
I came across an article about a cattle mutilation and the guy was using an EMF meter to look for aliens or something. His meter detected them, no surprise. I thought the EMF meter was invented by the...
15
15

Resistance of door holder magnet.
I have been troubleshooting a school with 14 door magnets and cant seem to find the issue. They will be fine for days and then it shorts the 24vdc out and the fire panel has to be re-started to clear...
10
10

Riddle Me This
Last evening, at approximately 9:15 pm Eastern Daylight Time, three (3) remote control devices came on, or changed in our house, not quite sequentially - about over 10 seconds or so. My wife and I -...
12
12

Circlip thingy
I have a Nakamichi Dragon on the bench. I need to dismantle the DD motor. To do so, I have to remove the circlip thingy (see photo: ). It must be destroyed during removal, which means I need a...
2
2

Yamaha outboard motor; 9.9 HP/ 7.3 kW, T9.9EXHP, 6G8 UL 784628, 1991.
Yamaha outboard motor (9.9 HP/ 7.3 kW, T9.9EXHP, 6G8 UL 784628, 1991) starts immediately and runs well when cold. When warm, misfires are evident. If stopped, deliberately or by the misfiring, after...
4
4

LCR/ESR meter
Just a quick request: Anyone have experience with "Smart Tweezers" from Syborg Systems line of ESR meters? Looking for something basic to check components. Thanks, Bill
11
11