8051 Newbie

Let me know if I am missing something.
I have an 8051.
I have tried Reset connected to ground and being open.
I just wanted to test things.  So I am having port 0 turn on and off.
I am using keil c compiler, so I doubt it is the code.
I am using the MaxLoader program to program the chip.
When I power it though all bits are high and remain high.
Which I think is the default option.
I am a PIC hobbiest that is trying 8051.

If there is a source for a step by step guide that would be useful too.
 I have a book, and it seems like my setup should be working.
Thank you.

8051 Newbie

Let me know if I am missing something.
I have an 8051.
I have tried Reset connected to ground and being open.
I just wanted to test things.  So I am having port 0 turn on and off.
I am using keil c compiler, so I doubt it is the code.
I am using the MaxLoader program to program the chip.
When I power it though all bits are high and remain high.
Which I think is the default option.
I am a PIC hobbiest that is trying 8051.

If there is a source for a step by step guide that would be useful too.
 I have a book, and it seems like my setup should be working.
Thank you.

Re: 8051 Newbie

Are you using the Keil with uVision? and if so did you create a project in
the proper manner (stepping through processor selection, clock speed,
internal/external memory, banking etc.?). If you started the project this
way then a startup.a51 file will have been created for you automatically.
You should see it in the list of project files. If not then you need to do
this.

Try reset pulled high as I suspect the reset signal is active low.

Re: 8051 Newbie

Active low reset is true for most devices but, unusually, it's active
high on the 8051 family.

The OP probably needs to specify exactly which "8051" he's using, as
there are so many variations.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Site Timeline