Mapping users on mount

I need to be able to 'map' an ordinary user to root...

Here's the scenario:

I am developing for an embedded platform. On my development box, I work as an ordinary user. As I compile stuff, I place it into a ~/boot directory.

The ~/boot dir is nfsmounted by the embedded SBC as its root fs.

The problem is that the files in ~/boot are owned by ordinary_user:ordinary_user, and nfsmounted as being owned by user

1001:1001. This wreaks all sorts of havoc when the embedded system wants to boot.

I could change the files in ~/boot to be all owned by root, but that is a major PITA, since I'd have to be root to make changes to the fs.

I could do development as root, which is probably a "really bad idea"(tm). :-)

Or I could figure out some way to get nfs to 'map' user 1001:1001 to user 0:0 when it mounts the root fs.

ISTR I could do that at one time, but I can't figure out how....

Thanks....

Reply to
Captain Dondo

The 'exports' (5) man page shows the options to do it:

all_squash Map all uids and gids to the anonymous user. Useful for NFS-exported public FTP directories, news spool directories, etc. The opposite option is no_all_squash, which is the default setting.

anonuid and anongid These options explicitly set the uid and gid of the anonymous account. This option is primarily useful for PC/NFS clients, where you might want all requests appear to be from one user. As an example, consider the export entry for /home/joe in the example section below, which maps all requests to uid 150 (which is supposedly that of user joe).

use all_squash, and set the anonuid and anongid to root. (unless NFS has some built-in security features to prevent you doing this)

Regards,

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:  damion@cyberguard.com.au
  CyberGuard Corporation ----           ph:           +61 7 3435 2809
  | Custom Embedded Solutions          fax:           +61 7 3891 3630
  | and Security Appliances            web: http://www.cyberguard.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  ----  Free Embedded Linux Distro at  http://www.snapgear.org  ----
Reply to
Damion de Soto