embedded filesystem recommendation

I am interested in finding a robust filesystem for use in an embedded server system device which will be using a general purpose enterprise linux distribution. The main purpose is to guarantee filesystem and data integrity in the case of power cut, not to mention fs check speed.

Can this be done with jffs2 on a standard hard disk? If yes, would an enterprise linux be happy with the partitions formatted this way. If no, are there other solutions to suggest which provide this level of integrity on a hard drive medium?

Reply to
WxMan

AFAIK, it is possible to run jffs on a standard disk. But what would that et you ? There are lots of other journalling filer systems that provide roll-back mechanism without needing to take care of the flash internal page structure, like jffs needs to do.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Well, impress me how smart you are. What other filesystems? And what advantages do they get me?

Reply to
WxMan

ext3 and reiserfs come to mind.

-Dave

Reply to
David N. Welton

Hi David,

"David N. Welton" schrieb in news: snipped-for-privacy@eidetix.com:

to mine too :-). The big advantage of ext3 is, that it can always be mounted as ext2 without loosing any filesystem-information. So it can be accessed by any linux version since 0.9 :-). I cant see any advantages in using reiserfs.

Regards, Kurt

--
PiN - Präsenz im Netz GITmbH
Kurt Harders

The advantages of reiserfs depend on your needs - for some uses and some operations, reiserfs is very much faster than ext3. There are dozens of comparisons between reiserfs and ext3 (and xfs, and problably others) on the web, but be careful of bias and rumour - each system has it's share of supporters and detractors giving different viewpoints.

Reply to
David Brown