Q: Free embedded FAT32 or NTFS filesystem

Hi,

I am looking for a FAT32 or NTFS filesystem for embedded projects.

I expect that the source code is written C and free of charge

Goggle helped me to find "DOSFS" from ZWS.COM. As it is not possible for me to unpack the file which I downloaded, it is not possible tp make a proper evaluation.

Any one have the project in a readable format?

Do you know other free embedded FAT32 or NTFS filesystems?

--
Kind Regards
Jens

There are 10 kind of people in this world, those who understand the binary
number system,
and those who do not.....
Reply to
JeGy

me

If you can't even work out how to unpack a tarball, you're definitely not qualified to use any of the answers you could possibly get to this question.

Reply to
larwe

What do you consider "a readable form"?

Look at any of the *free* Eunices (that means *not* Linux) and you will find sources for many different filesystems...

No, there are *two* kinds of people in the world:

- those who think there are two kinds of people in the world; and

- those who don't!

Reply to
D Yuniskis

me

lawre has a valid point: If you're having trouble with a compressed archive, the contents may bewilder you.

I doubt that you will find support for NTFS; Microsoft protects it as a trade secret. There are legal issues around FAT32 also, but so far the lawyers have been kept locked in their cages.

Expecting that source code be written in C and be free of charge is a bit much. Open source is about paying forward, not demanding hand- outs.

RK

Reply to
d_s_klein

Well, my source - which he couldn't decompress - is in C, and is explicitly free, as in "use it, don't tell me about it, I don't care" free :)

Reply to
larwe

larwe wrote in news:25b9a599-d2b6-44d8-8ade- snipped-for-privacy@z2g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Wow, I aint no programmer, and I could easily open your files with WinRAR. But then I've USED computers for 30+ years. (as apposed to clicking on pretty pictures ;-) )

 /                David Simpson                  \
|             dsimpson@NOnyxSPAM.net              |
|          http://www.nyx.net/~dsimpson           |
|We got to go to the crappy town where I'm a hero.|
 \_______________________________________________/
Reply to
David Simpson

Op Mon, 19 Oct 2009 04:58:42 +0200 schreef David Simpson :

RAR is a non-free proprietary format, and not everybody wants to illegally use WinRAR for longer than the evaluation period. As such I don't expect the OP to have WinRAR, perhaps even unaware of the free alternative multiplatform graphical archiving tools.

Are you suggesting that there might have been people clicking on pretty pictures before 1980?

http://www.opera.com/mail/
(remove the obvious prefix to reply by mail)
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

The same thing applies to WinZIP - lots of people use it beyond the free evaluation period, while very few have paid for it.

I always recommend 7z (). It is free and open source. Infozip is an alternative (last I heard, WinZIP used Infozip's libraries - that's allowed by the Infozip license, but it always struck me as unreasonable for the WinZIP developers to want paid for simply putting a pretty face on Infozip's hard work).

It is perhaps also worth noting that the RAR format is heavily associated with unlicensed software (and other media) copies. There is no technical reason for this (technically, it's just another compressed container format, like zip, 7z or tgz) - it's simply a matter of the format and associated WinRAR program being popular in that area.

I seem to remember the keys on the Commodore Pet having pretty pictures on them as well as letters, and that was 1979 IIRC.

Reply to
David Brown

Larwe's DOSFS is in .tgz format, not RAR.

There are plenty of free tools to extract this. In windows, 7-Zip will work fine. See:

Arlet

Well, I think we're stretching the boundaries of "pretty" ;) But the Apple II was introduced in 1977 and it had icons already :)

Reply to
larwe

So will gzip & tar. :-)

--
ArarghMail910 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.
Reply to
ArarghMail910NOSPAM

Sure. Continue to expect. Let me know how this free thing works out.

Free cheese is only in the mousetrap.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Thanks for the coffee spew...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

or me

No problem. And while I'm at it, what's a Goggle? Isn't that a banned racist toy made out of black knitting wool?

Reply to
larwe

Not always. Sometimes free cheese is in the city dump.

Reply to
larwe

As ASCII art, naked Diana sitting on a bar stool was quite popular in the 1970's, since with a 132 character wide line printer with some overprinting and with 6-10 pages high printout would create a real sized picture :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

y =A0

ct =A0

You must be a real hit at parties.

Reply to
Squeamizh

Op Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:31:54 +0200 schreef Squeamizh :

Indeed it is not easy to come up with something interesting all the time. I still wonder how uninteresting people manage to not bore each other to death with their uninteresting topics.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
(remove the obvious prefix to reply by mail)
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

=A0

=A0

The bigger mystery to me is how they manage to whip up enough enthusiasm to breed.

Reply to
larwe

search for FullFAT, FAT32 compatible system

joolz

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v4.0 Beta 7 Web @

Reply to