arm linux with gdb

Use the following script under cygwin or Linux, *BSD.

#!/bin/sh GDB_VER=5.3 TARGET=avr-unknown-elf PREFIX=/usr/local

tar jxvf gdb-$GDB_VER.tar.bz2 mkdir gdb

cd gdb ../gdb-$GDB_VER/configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX make all make install cd ..

See

or
for a ready-to-use package.

Note that you can build insight just by replacing all instances of "gdb" by "insight" in the script above.

Jean Tabel

am

platform

Reply to
Jean Tabel

Hello,

I am trying to cross-compile the latest gdb(5.3) for the arm, but I am stuck. Before I put any further effort into this issue my question:

Is there a pre-build version of the latest gdb(5.3) for the arm platform existing somewhere in the Web? :)

Thanks.

(await further postings ;)

Reply to
joerg holter

This creates for AVR, not ARM.

Try arm-elf instead of avr-unknown-elf.

The problem I had with ARM remote GDB is that it assumes hardware breakpoints. A source level patch is needed to change to software breakpoints.

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

No, AFAIK.

I made one for an earlier version of GDB. If he feels he can use it, I can email it.

HTH

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

"Tauno Voipio" wrote in news:LHeOa.116$ snipped-for-privacy@read3.inet.fi:

Really? That's odd, I found the exact opposite when configuring GDB

5.3 with --target=arm-elf. I had to make changes to config/arm/tm-embed.h to get GDB to believe that "target remote" targets support hardware breakpoints and allow the hbreak command to be used.

- Fred

Reply to
Fred Viles

If that's true, good.

I'll check it - maybe somebody has heard my pleas.

Thank you for pointing out.