xilinx spi flash programming

I'm about to place an SPI flash for spartan 3e but I'm a bit
disapointed in having to place another header to program it via
impact.

It would seem that a fairly simple piece of code could configure the
FPGA via the jtag header which would then program the flash with data
it gets "chipscope style"

Does anyone know whether such a solution is in the pipeline?

Colin

Re: xilinx spi flash programming

it is supported for S3A-V5 only ASFAIK

so I use my own tools for cross-platform SPI indirect programming

Antti

Re: xilinx spi flash programming
In comp.arch.fpga,

What will you use the JTAG for? If it's only for testing/debugging
your prototype, you can consider placing only a few solder pads for
the JTAG connection. The little extra hassle is not a problem for
debugging and production will only use the SPI connector.

--
Stef    (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

Re: xilinx spi flash programming

the OP is right being disappointed! really he has.

i you have JTAG connector or testpads, but can not not use indirect
jtag configuration for the SPI programming then its really PITA to add
separate SPI header, just because impact doesnt handle indirect SPI
for S3e then same way it handles it for S3A

Antti

Re: xilinx spi flash programming
In comp.arch.fpga,

Oh yes, I was disappointed as well. And I didn't even know things are
different with the S3A!

But I have to get on with my schematics and layout, so I decided to add
some pads for the JTAG and a header for the SPI (hope I can find the
space for it :-) ).

--
Stef    (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

Re: xilinx spi flash programming
mail)- Hide quoted text -

The board has been designed for JTAG testing by a third party. They
will use Scanworks (Asset intertech) for boundary scan and to program
the flash and we can use the same header for JTAG development. You've
worried me about using Impact for SPI programming as I assumed the S3e
will be dormant, will read the datasheet again later.

Colin

Re: xilinx spi flash programming
mail)- Hide quoted text -

for SPI programming on S3E you need "JTAG_SPI_GATEWAY" from Xilant ;)
or make your own...

the SPI programming on S3A is done by special bitstreams: .COR files
as the protocol is secret so a 3rd party JTAG company can also not use
xilinx solution for S3A
(unless they use impact in background)

Antti

Re: xilinx spi flash programming
In comp.arch.fpga,

In that case, just a few pads for the JTAG is not an option for you.

From what I understand, you will need to make sure the S3E puts it's
SPI pins in high impedance mode. One way to do that is to pull the
PROG_B input low (That's somewhere in te datasheet, search it for
PROG_B).

But please do read the datasheet again. If you find that the above is
incorrect, please notify me. I've almost finished my schematics and will
start layout soon. On my board, I have connected PROG_B to one of the
pins assigned to GND on the programming connector. That way, the
programming cable will automaticaly pull PROG_B low when inserted.

--
Stef    (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

Site Timeline