Xilinx BSCAN primitives proper use

Has anyone managed to get the xilinx BSCAN primitives (for interfacing with the USERx jtag registers/comands) working robustly? I've found a depressing lack of information as to what the actual pins do -- aside from a (now unavailable?) techXclusive article, "Reconfiguring Block RAMs - Part 1" (by Kris Chaplin, available via google cache) I can't find much more info.

What's the best way to interface with this part? In particular, how do you deal with the obvious synchronization/metastability issues when crossing clock domains, esp. if you're hoping for a device that's still small (i.e. no hardware async fifos or anything).

Thanks for any advice you can provide, ...Eric

Reply to
jonas

I used it recently for the 1st time to check out a JTAG interface block I was developing. Here's the very simple code I used: //

---------------------------------------------------------------------- // Xilinx BSCAN // This is temporary code that allows us to test out JTAG master block by // using the Xilinx JTAG block reg [31:0] bscan_data;

BSCAN_SPARTAN3 u_bscan ( .CAPTURE (BSCAN_CAPTURE), .DRCK1 (BSCAN_DRCK1), .DRCK2 (), .RESET (BSCAN_RESET), .SEL1 (BSCAN_SEL1), .SEL2 (), .SHIFT (BSCAN_SHIFT), .TDI (BSCAN_TDI), .UPDATE (BSCAN_UPDATE), .TDO1 (bscan_data[0]), .TDO2 (1'b0) );

always @(posedge BSCAN_DRCK1 or posedge BSCAN_RESET) if (BSCAN_RESET) bscan_data

Reply to
johnp

Eric, Have you seen Gnat tool ? It is a powerful tool for communicating with FPGA through JTAG, consisting of a VHDL core and TCL scripts to establish the communication.

Hope this helps, /MH

Reply to
mh

Gnat looks like a very useful suite of tools. Unfortunately, the article

xc_jtag53.htm) was written in 2005, and the URLs to the actual applications & libraries are all dead (the company that was hosting them has deleted them - searching the website turns up nothing).

Nice idea though. Anyone know if the project has been moved somewhere else?

EB

Reply to
emeb

There seems to be a copy here:

mk

here:

All, I myself was confronted with such a situation and I asked this question on this forum, and was contacted by S3 group who later sent me the tool. I used it and found it an excellent tool. HTH

/MH

Reply to
mh

Seems the unmodified tool is still missing on the S3 site:

Could you upload it somewhere?

Reply to
posedge52

site:

Hi, I had a correspondence with S-3 group and they allowed me to freely distribute Gnat tool with a comment that they don't support this tool any more.

So, Any one who need this tool may contact me directly.

/MH

Reply to
mh

If you need a copy of this article - please let me know at chaplin xilinx com

Regards Kris

Reply to
kjc

Reply to
drummer_man

MH or anyone who still has a copy of the GNAT tool, please post a link for me (and others). Much appreciated!

drummer_man