Why AHDL didn't catch on like Verilog or VHDL?

Hello, I've been using AHDL for a while and the people in my shop have been using it since it was developed. I think it was an HDL that was designed by hardware engineers and for hardware engineers. AHDL is so much easier to learn and use but I'm confused why their isn't a huge following of people using it. I hope that the next big HDL to catch on will be as easy as AHDL. I've looked at SystemVerilog and it seems to be at a highler level that AHDL, maybe that will decrease development time, I don't know. I've also heard that SystemC could be the next HDL. But I believe as well as my co-workers that AHDL will die and be replaced, the question is, with what?

Any thoughts on the topic?

thanks, joe

Reply to
jjlindula

Closed proprietary languages tend to either survive in a small niche where they may offer some distinct advantage over the mainstream languages....or they die due to lack of a following and lack of an investment in keeping the language relevant as technology marches on.

If your place is productive in AHDL then don't fight it; your increased productivity may give you an advantage over your competitors if you're correct. If you sense that AHDL will die and leave you with no support though....well, best to jump ship before it goes down completely.

KJ

Reply to
KJ

AHDL's purpose was synthesis. Without simulation support, the more complex designs leave a bit to be desired. Verilog and VHDL brought simulation and synthesis together and developed over the years as AHDL sat, doing a fine little synthesis job. But could it do anything complex?

Proprietary languages are tough. I couldn't see the "Altera Hardware Description Language" catching on at Xilinx or LSI, for instance.

Reply to
John_H