System ACE programming solution?

Hi there,

We have a bunch of Virtex-II Pro AFX boards we're using to build a single larger system. Currently we have a Parallel Cable IV programmer, and thus have to program each board individually. What we'd like to do is be able to program all the boards at the same time.

The AFX boards all have upstream and downstream System ACE ports, and this seems to be a suitable interface to use, but I'm a bit confused as to what programmer and cabling I need to take advantage of this interface.

Looking at the programmer on the Xilinx web site, the one that would appear to fit is the MultiPRO Desktop Tool:

This lists System ACE support in the data sheet, but doesn't explain how to actually do that. The 20 pin port on the side of the MiltiPRO device would appear to be similar to the System ACE interface pin out on the AFX board, but the descriptions don't match perfectly.

Is it possible to use this device with a set of suitable ribbon cables to hook up a set of AFX boards and program all the V2P devices at once?

Any information greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

--
Michael Dales
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory

SystemACE is a controller that streams data from a Compact Flash memory to a daisy chain devices using the boundary-scan TAP. iMPACT can be used to format bitstream files to be programmed onto the Compact Flash for utilization with the controller. The compact flash can be programmed using you PC and an appropriate cable provided by your compact flash supplier.

The up/downstream connectors on the AFX board allow you to create a longer boundary-scan chain of devices and is basically just serially connects the 4 pins of the TAP on one board to the next.

I d> Hi there,

     *CAUTION:* Shameless self-promotion follows...
Reply to
Neil Glenn Jacobson