Seriell Decoder possibly in ABEL for Lattice CPLD

Hi there

I'm not very familar with HDL, but I have to realize a small project
with Lattice CPLD.
Up to now the most things are working fine, but now I need help:
I'm searching for a device to implement (possibly written in ABEL) to
decode signals from PC's seriell port, so I finaly get my eight data
bits, under consideration of parity bit. I think, the need for this
part is very common, but I can't find it.

Can somebody help my with the code or can send a source for
ABEL-code??

Greetings

Timo

Re: Seriell Decoder possibly in ABEL for Lattice CPLD

What you need is a "UART receiver" and yes, they are very common.
Typically you need a clock that runs at least 16x faster than the
desired Baud rate.  You can then detect the start bit and locate
the middle of that bit position using a counter;  then leave the
same counter running, and use its value to determine when to
sample the remaining 8 bits + optional parity bit + stop bit.
Each data bit then must be shifted into a shift register, and
as soon as you see a valid stop bit you must copy that shift
register to a holding (buffer) register that the CPU or other
"data user" can see.

The whole thing uses quite a lot of flip-flops and you may find
that it will consume a big part of your CPLD.  Expect to use
around 30 flip-flops (9-bit shifter, 8-bit buffer, 3 bits of
status information, 4-bit shift counter, 4-bit oversampling
counter, possibly a few bits of state logic).  If you need
flexibility (variable Baud rate, configurable parity etc)
then the flop count will rise yet further.

HTH
--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how