Re: Using the 7 segment displays on Xilinx Spartan 3 kit

I really have not tried it yet, because I have not got my EDK6_3i eval CD yet, but there is a file I believe I downloaded from Xilinx : Spartan3_starter_PROM_source.zip

There is a SRAM_boot/src directory where there are some C files that access the 7 segment display.

I am trying to understand the working of the multiplexed seven seg. > displays on the xilinx spartan 3 board.the manual does not give me > detailed info. I am trying to write a simple program where I switch a > switch to the on position and it should display "0012" on the displays. > Any suggestions please? > > thanks >
Reply to
newman5382

Hi,

You need to multiplex the data you want to display. In your example you want to display "0012" so you first swith on led that correspond to "0" and send to an3 "0" to swith on the first digit and 1 to an2/1/0 after you switch off an3 on put on an2 and send "0" then off an2 , on an1 and send "1" and finally off an1 on an0 and send "2"

an other thing to take care is the frequency you refresh the digit segment it should not be to fast , I don't know precisely the freq but i think than

10KHz should be ok if you don't do that all digit will be light on.

You can take example on this countdown that i have made and tested on the digilent board spartan3

In top horloge.vhd you should find all what you need to display 0 to 9, A, B, C, D, E, F number on a 7 segment and if you only want to display "0012" juste drive:

dizaine_minute

Reply to
KCL

PS: the design is for a 50 MHz clock