PDSPs vs FPGAs for DSP

Hi,

I am reading Uwe Meter-Baese's book "DSP with FPGAs" and am trying to gain some perspective here. FWIW, I develop embedded apps on the Atmel 8 bit AVR platform with CodeVision C compiler.

What are the pros and cons of going PDSPs vs. FPGAs to implement DSP for my

8 bit apps?

This book favors Altera and VHDL ( which I don't even know)

Help me out here...

Reply to
Orbit

Hello!, The book you are reading is the best of the best in that topic. The question about pros and cons is a hot question til now. You'll find people that will like more PDSPs than FPGAs. To me there are a couple things to take in consideration. 1.- Paralellism. If your algorithm is such that you can divide it in small parts to execute it in parallel, them FPGA is great.

2.- Custom precision. If you need to work with an specific number of bits, say 17 (whatever), then is better to implement it on FPGA than a PDSP since you won't find one with the precision you want. 3.- However, if you don't need that much speed, or an special requirement on precision, then use PDSP, it's easier and probably cheaper.

In general, I'll use FPGA when my application is very demanding in terms of speed and customization. If not, it is probably cheaper and easier to use a PDSP.

hope it helps, alnz.

Reply to
Alonzo Vera