[help]SAS with FPGAs

Hi,all.I am doing a project which will implement SAS with FPGAs on Xilinx Virtex 4 ML405 board. But before I am a software designer and never do IC design before ,so this project is very difficult for me.Who could help me and give me some guidances or some datum and paper about how to implement SAS with FPGAs.I will be very grateful.Thanks very much.

Reply to
westspeed

You are not talking about the airline, are you?

If not, lease check all that apply: You want ot build an: a) Safety and Automation System b) Synthetic Aperture Sonar c) beam forming circuitry for Small-Angle Scattering d) Slot Accounting System

a) will be easist, c) requires a lot of additional hardware not found on an ML405, a) should not be build by a novice. b) probably is the best match for an ML405.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
comp.arch.fpga

I think the OP probably means Serial Attached SCSI, which is very close to SATA.

Depending on the speeds involved, 1.5G or 3G, this may not be an appropriate first project.

RB

Reply to
Rube Bumpkin

Serial Attached SCSI is NOT a task for someone to design from the ground up unless they are *very* seasoned hardware engineers, in my opinion, and have time to "waste" at that. If you purchase an SAS core from a

3rd party vendor, integrating this core to a usable system would be a challenge for someone unfamiliar with hardware design, though doable. Starting from nothing, this would have to be at least a man year worth of work to get to where the drives are starting to talk for someone who isn't already confident with FPGAs.

If you have the SAS cores, you may be able to get integration help from the people who developed the cores. At least the learning curve at that point would be much simpler for the uninitiated since wiring up cores to a top level design is easier than developing the core, but it's still not something I'd expect a non-hardware person to be responsible for.

It's a little like asking me - expert in hardware, knowledge about software with the ability to read through most and write some C - to develop a database system for those SAS drives. Uhhh....

- John_H

Reply to
John_H