Bluetooth with FPGA?????

hi everybody,

I am in the last year of communications department, faculty of
Engineering, and I need help for my graduation project.

The final stage is to interface the Spartan-3 to a USB Bluetooth dongle
to support wireless voice and/or data communications modulated with
DSSS (IS-95 CDMA).

I need to interface the USB dongle to the PS/2 port of Spartan-3 using
a PS/2-to-USB converter.

I have tried to find data sheets and timing diagrams of a USB dongle in
order to understand how it works but found nothing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Re: Bluetooth with FPGA?????

Howdy,

For very standard interfaces, it is common to not find much useful
timing or datasheet type information on a particular vendors device.
You need to search for the USB specification.  Google finds it.

Good luck,

    Marc

Re: Bluetooth with FPGA?????

You will find is MUCH easier to use something other than USB - apart from the
complexity in doing
USB host, info is likely to be scarce on accessing the device.
One of the many serial bluetooth OEM modules would be a LOT easier, and will be
properly documented.

Re: Bluetooth with FPGA?????

Sorry, it's not going to work.  USB-to-PS/2B converters only support
PS/2 keyboards, mice, and similar devices on USB hosts.  They don't let
PS/2 hosts talk to arbitrary USB devices such as Bluetooth dongles.

Re: Bluetooth with FPGA?????
Hello,

   I was looking at a similar issue recently.

The problem is that bluetooth dongles are SLAVE devices -- or in the USB
terminology, simply USB devices.
They are supposed to work under the control of a USB  host (controller),
which is
 ussualy a PC. The USB host  has to perform USB bus enumeration and probably
other complex tasks.
This means your FPGA has to perform the tasks of a USB host ...
(see USB Complete 3rd edition, Jan Axelson)
Also note that the bluetooth dongle is supposed to be powered-up by the
power lines (5V)
available on the USB interface ...

Finally, the bluetooth protocol is quite complex and implementing the
bluetooth stack is not
trivial. You may want to take a look at http://www.bluez.org/ to get an
idea.

There are USB controllers that implement the OTG (On The Go) supplement to
USB. They allow
devices to comunicate with other devices -- that is, allow devices to work
as hosts.
(see http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego /)
Check the datasheets for Philips ISP1362, TransDimension TD242LP, Cypress
CY7C67200EZ-OTG

My advice to you is to use a eb100-SER (http://www.a7eng.com ) module. It has
the full bluetooth stack
implemented in firmware with a serial profile available on power-up and they
say 230kb/s bandwidth.
You connect to this module over a serial UART (easy to implement in an
FPGA).
It's simple to use and it worked for me ...

:) According to me you face a nice project but a huge one most probably...

Good luck and hope this helps.
   Cristian

Site Timeline