About Spartan 3

I would like to build an universal measurement device, composed of a frequency meter and a bus protocol analyser (among other things). It will be based on a Spartan 3 chip, i.e. XC3S200-4TQ144C, which is the largest S3 device I can buy in very small quantities without problems (with Cyclone 2 the situation is much worse... :-( ). I have never used Xilinx parts before, so could you please answer the following, perhaps trivial, questions?

  1. What is the highest frequency I can measure using that part a) without any tricks; b) with some tricks -- I know that Peter Alfke has implemented a freqency meter capable of 450MHz on an S2(?). :-)

  1. Is it possible to obtain some information about the bitstream format of that particular chip? The device should support all the IO modes that Spartans support, which implies about 30 different configuration files... However, I believe that the only thing that needs different configuration settings is the IOB subsystem, since the rest of the device remains unchanged. So I would like to dynamically patch the bitstream by an on-board microcontroller, which will generate an appropriate stream from a single configuration file template. But where is the IO configuration part of the stream and how is it encoded? Note: I don't want any warranties etc. from Xilinx and I know that the format could be changed in the future, but I am only interested in the format of the chip I hold in my hand.

Best regards Piotr Wyderski

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

"Piotr Wyderski" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dnh17b$v6k$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dialog.net.pl...

there is frequency meter that can be implemented in just any FPGA we have some real world measurement results (no tricks)

Spartan3 -4 speedgrade: 420MHz (that was the highest clock I was able to feed into..) Virtex4: 970 MHz

if you want to "patch" the bitstream, well we have an bit2frames application that can be used to compare the bits and query the locations, and we had planned an

bitpatch

what could in turn to be used to post patch the biststreams just for the purpose you mentioned, please contact in private if you are interested in this

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats