Distance Measurement Device

Hi I am wondering if there is a two piece electronic device that measures the distance between the two "receiver/transmitters". For example, I know that there are devices that use sound waves to time the beam's travel from the device to an object and back, and uses the speed of sound constant to find the distance. I was wondering if this kind of device is available using two receiver/transmitters. So if there are two of these devices, one or both will be able to tell how far apart they are from each other without using a line of sight. Thanks

Drew

Reply to
Drew

differential GPS does that and more...

For

without line of sight DGPS is the only way. if they can both see the same GPS satellites.

otherwise they need line of sight for whatever signals they are using.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

First off, thanks for the reply. But what about sending sound or radio signals? I was thinking that if both units are transmitters and receivers, they can relay unique radio signals, one to the other and then back again, and the first can time this and divide by the speed of the radio signal and then find the distance. I know that this can be done with stationary objects (using sound waves to bounce off walls). I could be wrong I guess, but it just seems to me that with all this technology today something this "simple" in comparison to other devices must exist. Can anyone think of a device that even uses this principle, even if the distance factor isn't its main purpose? Thanks again. Drew

Reply to
Drew

If they don't have line of sight that won't give the straight-line distance, but instead the signal path distance...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Aircraft control radars but they aint cheap.

--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

Ok guys thanks for the help.

Drew

Reply to
Drew

The tellurometer, invented in the 1950s I think, was an electronic distance measuring instrument for surveyors. It used microwave beams transmitted between instruments at each end of the line. Max range was

50+ km and in favorable conditions the devices were accurate to a few parts per million.

Laser instruments displaced tellurometers many years ago, but you can still find them from time to time on eBay. I got an early 1980s set that way.

All tellurometers use phase comparison rather than measuring time of flight directly like a radar. That is, a continuous microwave beam is modulated by a crystal-controlled oscillator, usually at 7.5 or 10 MHz. The remote unit at the far end of the line re-transmits the signal back to the master, where the modulation is recovered and its phase compared to the oscillator.

Of course, one phase measurement only tells you the fractional wavelength. You don't know how many complete cycles are between you and the remote unit. The same reading occurs every 20 meters (for 7.5 MHz modulation). The solution is to use several different modulating frequencies to resolve the ambiguity.

The microwave carrier is around 3, 10, or 18 GHz, depending on the model. The 10 GHz tellurometers have been used by hams since its carrier falls in one the amateur bands. A precise carrier frequency is not necessary; it's the modulation frequency that determines the instrument's accuracy.

All tellurometers, even the early models, have an interesting feature: voice communication over the microwave beam. Back in the day, that must have come in handy when measuring lines many miles long between mountain peaks.

Paul Hirose
To reply by email remove INVALID
Reply to
Paul Hirose

Thank you that's very helpful. I'll look into these more. Thanks again.

Drew

Reply to
Drew