Define "form factor"

I have tried a search on Google, but no luck.

My question concerns the "form factor" of a waveform that is basically sinusoidal, but which contains copious harmonics. Could you please either give me the official definition of "form factor" in this context, or refer me to a website or book where I can find the official definition?

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

Reply to
Dick Chambers

It's many years since I have referred to "Electric Circuits" by Joseph Edminster in the "Schaum's Outline Series" (c) 1965 McGraw-Hill...

Page 17 gives Form Factor as..... Ratio of effective (RMS) value to average value

and If I transcribe correctly....

sqrt((int (0,T)(y(t)^2)/T))/(int (0,T)(y(t))/T)

where T is the cycle time. and int (0,T) (f(x)) is supposed the integral from 0 to T of f(x)

HTH

Reply to
Anonymous.

Thank you for your help. This has enabled me to get to grips with the form factor, and (as an unexpected added bonus) to finally understand what the difference really is between a true RMS voltmeter and a mean-sensing voltmeter. Your help was much appreciated.

Richard Chambers Leeds UK.

Reply to
Dick Chambers