USB Host & PDA

Hi all,

I have a PDA Ipaq 4150 and I want to connect to an external homemade
device which has USB interface. It seems that my PDA does not support
USB host. Is there any trick to work around this problem ? I need to
write an application for pocket pc 2003 that control my device by
sending/receiving some bytes.

Thank you.

Juky

Re: USB Host & PDA

The USB interface on a Pocket PC is not capable of acting as a host.
Why don't you just use the RS-232 port that is also available on most
Pocket PCs?

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan

Re: USB Host & PDA

Well, you had better thought of that *before* deciding on USB, of all
things, as the protocol for that communication, hadn't you?

"Trick"?  No.  USB is either there, or it's not.  You may manage to
find a USB bus controller with an interface your PDA does support, but
that's not a trick --- that's avoiding the problem.

Need?  Why?

Re: USB Host & PDA

The "simple" solution of course is to turn things around. Put the host
in your device, and treat the PDA as a slave. Using some other comms
channel probably would be easier.

Anton Erasmus

Re: USB Host & PDA

I have seen gadgets that claim to do device to device copy. I have not tried
them myselve, but they are not expensive.

Wim

Re: USB Host & PDA

Those gadgets would be completely useless for the OP.  They work on
mass storage devices only, and the OP's device quite clearly isn't in
that category.