Toyota ECM diagnostic protocol?

Does anyone know if year 2001 Toyotas use a standard engine diagnostic
protocol?  I have worked with CAN-based GMLAN and several others, and
I am hoping that maybe Toyota uses one of the ones I know.  The reason
is that my dealership charges $85 to "diagnose" an engine-check light
event, which sometimes turns out to be something that can be safely
ignored, like "random multiple misfires" (which occurred in very damp
weather).  I would like to read out the P-codes and then decide if it
serious enough to turn it over to the dealership.

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through newsgroups, not by direct e-mail, as automatic reply address is
fake.)

Re: Toyota ECM diagnostic protocol?

Should be standard OBD2 connector and readout protocol on a car that vintage.

Re: Toyota ECM diagnostic protocol?

And you should be able to get it to flash the Check Engine idiot-light
with error codes for a quick'n'dirty indication.

Google '"check engine" toyota codes' and there should be a few pages
detailing this.

--
Ron Sharp.

Re: Toyota ECM diagnostic protocol?

address is fake.)

OBD2, you can buy a handheld for circa $130 USD

Re: Toyota ECM diagnostic protocol?

BTW: If you don't want to invest in a scan tool, many (most?)
independent auto parts stores will let you use their scanner free.
Autozone, for instance. The commercial rationale being that if the
code says "replace lateral frobulator", you'll likely buy it right
then and there.

Charging for 60 seconds of scan time is ridiculous but widely
practised.

Re: Toyota ECM diagnostic protocol?
: Does anyone know if year 2001 Toyotas use a standard engine diagnostic
: protocol?  I have worked with CAN-based GMLAN and several others, and
: I am hoping that maybe Toyota uses one of the ones I know.  The reason
: is that my dealership charges $85 to "diagnose" an engine-check light
: event, which sometimes turns out to be something that can be safely
: ignored, like "random multiple misfires" (which occurred in very damp
: weather).  I would like to read out the P-codes and then decide if it
: serious enough to turn it over to the dealership.

Go to www.autozone.com. After entering the car info in to the web page it will
tell you how to put the car in to the diag mode via the harness and have
the idiot light codes. (short two pins) They have the most complete codes Ive
seen on the web.

You milage may vary with your 2001 but it helped diag an idiot light event that
point me to the EGR system on my 94 Corolla. Turned out to be the vacuum valve
switch.

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at) <initials of company> (dot) com

Site Timeline