ECM 3.0 motor diagnostics

I've been given a non-starting blower motor that was said to be faulty and replaced to the tune of about $1500. When I got the motor on the bench, it passed a basic run test, starting just fine and running steadily.

The motor apparently has some sort of serial port with Rx and Tx pins, positive power and common terminals. The test procedure merely connects 24 volts of 60 Hz AC between common and Rx, whence the motor does a soft start and runs steadily, with a slight hunt that is reasonable for a no-load condition.

Does anybody have info or docs which might let me do a more thorough test, such as vary the speed or read back data from the motor? The motor is simply marked

Genteq

ECM 3.0 GCO8

1/2 HP 120/240 V 5/20/2010 15 0006MC5

Letter O and numeral 0 look the same, so the transcription might mix them.

There is a URL, thedealertoolbox.com, but I could find no useful information. YouTube videos proved far more helpful. The motor came out of a Carrier central HVAC system which has been surprisingly troublesome.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Anything here of use? Not sure if it applies to your motor or not:

Jeff Layman

Not directly. The webpage refers to a motor standard called X13, which I believe is different from ECM 3.0 though it may be functionally the same, or at least similar.

The article did surprise me by saying to swap two of the three-phase motor leads to change direction of rotation. I thought surely that would be handled by software.

It would be useful to just find a connection scheme that let me run the motor and vary the speed. If speed control works the motor is at least good enough to be useful. Actually "talking" to the motor via Rx and Tx would be instructive, however.

makes reference to changing ECM speed, but only by setting DIP switches on the furnace control board. That's exactly what I don't have available.

Thanks for writing, I did learn a little more!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska