SPI slave comms on ATtiny26

What sensible methods do people use to implement SPI slave comms on AVR micros? I'm specifically working with the ATtiny26L right now.

I'm currently using a software approach, with the select line connected to an int-on-change pin. When that int comes in, I read the state of the pin and if it's high, I turn off the USI UART and set MISO to input mode so it doesn't interfere with other devices on the bus. This has a speed downside, and more importantly fearsome things happen to the bus if the micro is crashed. (Of course my code is pefrect and error-reef, but I have to allow for the presence of bad fairies ;). Upside is that it's trivial to detect end-of-transaction and clear out any garbage data that may have accumulated.

Second method I considered was using an LS244 to buffer the MISO/MOSI/SCK lines and tristate it with the select signal. Downside to this is increased BOM.

Third method I considered was for all devices to regard themselves as continuously selected, but only listen/respond to certain commands (and keep their mittens off the MISO line until it's their turn to talk). This seems to be horrendously fragile though, for all kinds of reasons.

Is there some seriously silly error I've made, or are these my only options?

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Lewin, The ATmega48, sampling now, is just a little bit more expensive with a H/W SPI. It also have the debugwire OCD interface.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

Without a /SS pin, you will have to watch for hand-over contention. Resistors in the MISO lines would probably do, so any make before break is tolerated.

;)

and it does not solve all the time-domain problems, only the hand-over contention ones.

Why is this more fragile than the first method ?. I can see it has a higher average software load, but has some benefits of being able to BUS WDOG and BUS quality check via checksums etc.

You can also run SPI devices in a serial daisy-chain. Then the physical location determines who gets what info, and you have no handover as such. Data speeds can be higher, and ALL nodes are event locked, which can also be good. Of course, the wiring is different.. :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hi Ulf,

Sorry, I'm committed to the tiny26L :) This is for my book... I don't have time to revise around a new microcontroller. See the response I'm about to write to Jim in this same thread...

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Hi Jim,

Let me preface this with a bunch of details I probably ought to have given in the original posting: I'm adapting my submarine circuitry to the somewhat cut-down approach I take in my book. (Anyone who happens to be reading, and is on my "to review the manuscript list" - It seems likely that all the drafts are going out with the schematics only, no sourcecode or commentary in that chapter, until I know just WTF I'm doing!).

The sub uses an ATmega128 as the "main controller", connected to the "untrusted" Linux SBC via RS232. Each mechnical controller module has its own MISO line. All modules share a single SCK and MOSI.

The ATmega128 supplies more or less continuous clock and gets a constant stream of data from all [8] connected modules; some of the information is redundant. For instance, the motor controller transmits a constant, repeating stream of packets that indicate the current direction flag (FWD/REV), last measured tach interval, current PWM duty cycle, thermal flag state, and a few other flags that indicate whether a stall has been detected, etc.

At any moment, up to eight commands may be in the process of being serialized out the individual MISO lines from the mega128. Comprehensive "black box" packets summarizing all the incoming datastreams go out the serial line to the PC at approximately 0.5Hz.

However - For various reasons, mostly related to the skills I'm trying to demonstrate in the text, the circuits in the book are bit-banged directly from the PC's parallel port. I have designed a very simple generic 8-way interface (see - note the URL mentioned in the image isn't live yet) for this purpose.

For the purpose of this discussion, I can _guarantee_ that only one select line will ever be asserted, and that any desired recovery time can be allowed between deasserting one device and asserting another. Data rates are very low.

Well, if I'm using the select line, I can use it as a simple failsafe against partial transactions. I can simply clear everything out and go into sleep mode (or concentrate on background tasks) when select is deasserted. Once select is asserted, I can perk the micro up to watch the USI. If I am just listening to bits coming randomly down the wire, I have to establish a more complicated protocol to know when transactions begin or end.

I'd have to bit-bang the downstream port on the micro, though. Not keen on that idea :)

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I had assumed you would still Select/INT, for frame info, but that instead of the Select lines doing the channel tags, the message content does ( like LIN BUS ), trades HW wiring, for a SW scheme.

No need to do that, just do this

---|MOSI MISO|--->--|MOSI MISO|--->--|MOSI MISO|--->---

and parallel the clocks, & frame/INT. Each device looks like an 8 bit shift register, and takes 8 clocks so 8 slaves will have a complete frame ready after 64 clocks. Then assert the common frame/INT line, and they all get/put their respective bytes.

The host can work out how many are in the chain by counting clocks. [Which node is where is a tad harder....] Advantage of this ring bus, is the PC interface is constant, and the number of nodes can be added to, keeping PC and BOX connectors fixed.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville