SAA7113H experience

I'm about to start a project using SAA7113 and SAA7129 Philips devices. I've
so far not been able to find any useful application notes to provide advice
on how these devices should be connected and used. Does anyone have any
experience of using these components and maybe some application notes or
proven circuitry that they could share with me please?

TIA.

Rog.

Re: SAA7113H experience
On Sunday, in article

       A 9bit Y/C or CVBS input processor
       and 8bit video encoder devices
       both with I2C control

Both with support for all sorts of captioning, widescreen and ITU656 data
formatting.

There is a wealth of information in the data sheets for those devices,
including device circuits, however though do assume a few things you
understand first:-

1/  Working with video (NOT PC graphics)

2/  Digital video standards

3/  What your system is doing.

I would suggest you read this book first

        Video Demystified
        A Handbook for the Digital Engineer

        By Keith Jack of (then) Brooktree
        ISBN 1-878707-09-4

These sorts of devices are not a general learner part to get to grips
with understand digital video, its standards and system design for
video processing.

I do assume your are also going to have some frame stores and processor
control to interface with these devices?

Your system could almost be passthrough between the two devices or have frame
stores or even hard disk drives or other digital video sources so no
simple appliction note or design beyond somebodys product details will
tell you a quarter of the design. Most of these products are likely to
be in cost competitive or markets of high competition who are not likely
to share the amount of knowledge required.

Consider that the book I mentioned is over 400 pages long and does not
give detailed hardware and software designs down to each resistro or line
of code. There are lots of block diagrams, standards and timing discussions.

Re: SAA7113H experience

Paul,

Thanks for the response. I'm familiar with the video standards and will be
using the 656 format to send data to an FPGA processing engine. Regarding
the Philips chips it's things like the need (or not) for a filter on the
7129 outputs, what happens to the LLC output from the 7113 when it doesn't
have any video input i.e. does it free run at 27MHz? I just trying to take
some of the risk out of my initial work. I've not found the device data
sheets that good to be honest with you.

Maybe I should have been specific with my initial post.

Regards,

Rog.

Re: SAA7113H experience
[snip]

If you don't have video going in it doesn't put out a sensible signal. I
didn't bother to measure what it did put out because it was rubbish. The
setup is the tricky thing and I had a lot of fun with these chips. The
settings seem to go on forever and if you poke one bit of the timing another
bit will need opposite tweaking. I'm not the hardware designer, I just
suffered with the software. The circuit is not complicated and most of the
clever stuff is in the settings. I recall that there was a magic resistor on
the 7129 that wasn't documented but if you missed it off then the composite
video output didn't work. The designers added low pass filters on all the
outputs consisting of an inductor and a few other bits in a simple network.

Peter

Re: SAA7113H experience

Peter,

Thanks for that. The "magic resistor" would sound really amusing if it
wasn't so important to the operation of the device. If you recall any more
detail I'd obviously be interested to hear.

Thanks again,

Roger.

Re: SAA7113H experience

Sorry, my memory was wrong, we used another encoder SAA7182A where a
resistor had to be attached to TESTC. If it wasn't fitted then the composite
output wouldn't work. We never found out why we needed it.

Peter

Re: SAA7113H experience

Thanks Peter.

Re: SAA7113H experience
On Sunday, in article

I may also have been a bit too hasty, having seen too many video related
posts from those who fail to understand the basics of video or worst
still how they are going to make camera devices do complicated tasks
without working out the lighting and lenses required.

Video processing work involves a lot of sitting down and working out
before putting the first part on the schematic, which many fail to
realise.

I see you have had many useful replies after your further clarification
and hope they provided the details required.

Re: SAA7113H experience

Thanks for the reply.

Rog.

Re: SAA7113H experience
Hello Roger,

we (NEC) have used the SAF7113A (extended temperature version of the
SAA7113A) for a demoboard of our graphics controller. You will find the
manual at http://www.ee.nec.de/docuweb and then enter "U17316EE1V0UM00"
as the keyword to search for. In its attachment you will find the
schematics of the board.

At the bottom of
http://www.ee.nec.de/products/micro/07_download/03_v850/index.html you
will find an application note "Operation of Ravin-E with V850 Devices"
and some demo software in "V850EME2-RavinE-Demo.zip", which extends
more on the V850E/ME2 processor and the graphics controller than on the
7113A. I could send you some small demoprograms for these boards, which
initialize video capture with the SAA7113A.

Michael

Site Timeline