Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED

http://www.voti.nl/wisp628

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.voti.nl
PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED
Wouter:

Why is yours as good or better than the Warp13?

Thanks

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:10:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@voti.nl (Wouter van Ooijen
(www.voti.nl)) wrote:

Quoted: >  There are no decent PIC programming kits IMO.
Quoted:
Quoted: http://www.voti.nl/wisp628
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: Wouter van Ooijen
Quoted:
Quoted: -- ------------------------------------
Quoted: http://www.voti.nl
Quoted: PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED

I did not say that. I responded to 'there is no decent PIC programmer
kit'.

Warp13 <-> Wisp628:

warp is more expensive
wisp628 can do only flash PICs
warp is intended for ex-circuit programming, has ZIF socket, has
(needs) its own power.
wisp628 is intended for in-circuit programming, no ZIF, steals power
from the target
warp is PS+ compatible, can be used from MPLAB
wisp628 PC software is open source, can be used on Win, Linux, Mac,
OS/2, ....

I think those are enough differences to show why they both exist and
have their use.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.voti.nl
PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED
Wouter:

You are right.  You didn't say that.  I appreciate you outlining the
difference as they will aid me in making a selection.

Due to my requirements, I may go with the Warp13 but your programmer
is an interesting option.

Anyone else have anything to add about a good PIC programming kit or
the Warp13?

Thanks

And, thanks to all of the folks who were kind enough to give me some
guidance.

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:30:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@voti.nl (Wouter van Ooijen
(www.voti.nl)) wrote:

Quoted: >Why is yours as good or better than the Warp13?
Quoted:
Quoted: I did not say that. I responded to 'there is no decent PIC
programmer
Quoted: kit'.
Quoted:
Quoted: Warp13 <-> Wisp628:
Quoted:
Quoted: warp is more expensive
Quoted: wisp628 can do only flash PICs
Quoted: warp is intended for ex-circuit programming, has ZIF socket,
has
Quoted: (needs) its own power.
Quoted: wisp628 is intended for in-circuit programming, no ZIF, steals
power
Quoted: from the target
Quoted: warp is PS+ compatible, can be used from MPLAB
Quoted: wisp628 PC software is open source, can be used on Win, Linux,
Mac,
Quoted: OS/2, ....
Quoted:
Quoted: I think those are enough differences to show why they both
exist and
Quoted: have their use.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: Wouter van Ooijen
Quoted:
Quoted: -- ------------------------------------
Quoted: http://www.voti.nl
Quoted: PICmicro chips, programmers, consulting

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED

Yes I have. The Warp 13 product works well, however the support
from Newfound Electronics (the makers) is terrible. If you buy one
I cannot suggest strongly enough that you buy from Dontronics
rather than direct from Newfound - if you do have problems Don
will do more than his level best to sort then out. Also ensure the
Wapr software does not have any "protection" scheme in place,
certainly one version did and it caused me no end of trouble.

Mike Harding

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED
Thanks, Mike.

How does one tell if the software has a protection scheme or not
before buying other than simply asking?

Also, what problems did you have the required assistance?

I have bought from Dontronics before and they are really good however,
they are on the other side of the world from me.

Does anyone know what C compiler is best for the PIC devices?

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:35:11 +1100, Mike Harding

Quoted: On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:35:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:
Quoted:
Quoted: >Anyone else have anything to add about a good PIC programming
kit or
Quoted: >the Warp13?
Quoted:
Quoted: Yes I have. The Warp 13 product works well, however the
support
Quoted: from Newfound Electronics (the makers) is terrible. If you buy
one
Quoted: I cannot suggest strongly enough that you buy from Dontronics
Quoted: rather than direct from Newfound - if you do have problems Don
Quoted: will do more than his level best to sort then out. Also ensure
the
Quoted: Wapr software does not have any "protection" scheme in place,
Quoted: certainly one version did and it caused me no end of trouble.
Quoted:
Quoted: Mike Harding

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED
You can get C compilers for free,$100 or $1000s.....
Kinda a loaded question, like what is the 'best' micro .
That said, I bought the CCS  C compiler 4 or 5 years ago. For $100 it was a
really good deal. Lots of examples,decent explanation of stuff, great 'web
board',downlaodable demo version,etc.
Depends on the skill level you have,time for projects(hobby or work).
I also bought the Microchip Picstartplus programmer for easy,works out of
the box troublefree.
hope this helps

Jay in Greensville,Ont -20C today !

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED

For 18XXX devices we use MCC18 from Microchip with the MPLAB ICD2.

For 12XX 14XX and 16XX devices we use Hi-tech, which works fine, but is not
cheap. Around 1 Kbuck IIRC.

Bob

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED

Ask on the PIClist, I should think is best. Maybe Dontronics
know?

It would not be appropriate to go into them here but suffice it
to say I shall not deal with Newfound again - and I have been
a professional in this business for 25+ years.

If I ever buy another Newfound product (which is unlikely) it
will be through Dontronics - although basically a one-man
business I don't think I have seen _any_ company do more
to help it's customers.

Doesn't really matter for these sorts of products and Don will
respond to e-mails promptly.

To be quite fair to Newfound I have owned a Warp 3 which has
been, and still is, operating well for about 6 or 7 years - I have
no issue with hardware quality and the software is, generally,
OK in it's operation - although NOT it's copy protection.

Hi Tech C is, without doubt, the best but it is expensive although
they do do some free/low cost? products.
www.htsoft.com

Mike Harding

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED

Sorry Guys, just picked up on the thread.

I believe I'll have your goods on the way before your local source gets
around to processing your order.
see:
http://www.dontronics.com/reco.html

Also we have $100USD off the Hi-TECH PIC compilers. These can be sourced
and shipped within the US if that is where you are.

Other PIC C Compilers:
http://www.dontronics.com/cat_index_soft_pic.html
We have one that you can web download virtually straight away.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:      http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics

Re: PROGRAMMER NEEDED
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:35:11 +1100, Mike Harding

<snip>

I bought a Warp13 about a year ago, and have since downloaded a software
update.  Neither the original software nor the update had any sort of
protection scheme in place.  In fact, I've installed the software on two
machines (my development system and a laptop for field use) with no
problems at all.  Since the software is useless without their programming
hardware it's hard to see why they'd even want to protect it.

I'll add that I've been very happy with my Warp13 -- I've used it for both
in- and out-of-circuit programming on a variety of PIC chips with no
problems at all, using both the MPLAB software and the dedicated Warp13
software.  They've released several firmware upgrades since I bought my
unit, which they've made available for free as hex files or inexpensively
as pre-programmed PIC chips.  I'd definitely buy another one if something
happened to mine...

--
Perform the arithmetic in my email address to reply

Site Timeline