22V10 programmer

Does anyone know of a cheap 22V10 programmer ?

or maybe a Atmel ATFxxxx programmer ?

Reply to
hamilton

With G540 I have programmed 22V10, 20V8 and 16V8.

--
OV1A Jens

 Hard work has a future pay-off. Laziness pays off now!
Reply to
Jens Petersen

Oh, thank you. More opportunity to spam:

You can probably set this up on a breadboard...

Reply to
Johann Klammer

LOL !!!

From the README file:

"Requires ancient computer with parallel port."

Reply to
hamilton

Lenevo makes good new computers with parallel ports. There are also quite a few that have a parallel port header on the motherboard, if you can scavenge a 25-pin DSUB from an old computer.

Reply to
David Brown

Yes, they are getting rare... You might be able to work with a SMBus port expander or one of those FTDI USB things if you don't have a pport... You'll need a 5V tolerant port expander...

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Sorry to say, that legacy software the used the parallel port for interfacing to the outside world, used direct I/O.

NO, USB device can give the same results as there is no direct I/O available.

Been there, done that.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

I assume "direct I/O" is just writing to the output register and reading the input register.

Is the problem that it can't be made to work, or that it is horribly slow? (I'd expect USB writes to take about 1 ms.)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.
Reply to

If it isn't speed, it should be possible with a virtual machine, to read/write to a virtual parallel port which then maps to a real USB-parallel adapter.

(I don't know that a specific virtual machine provides that feature, but it should be possible.)

There are ones that play tricks with the parallel port signals, especially ones that do input. The original IBM PC wasn't bidirectional (even though they used a port that could be) but later ones are. Some use the status bits (out of paper and such) as inputs. That might be harder to virtualize.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

USB parallel ports are at best useful for printers - not for programmers or bi-directional IO.

Just buy a computer with a parallel port and save yourself the effort. The range with pre-installed parallel ports is small, but at least Lenevo have plenty. The range of motherboards with parallel port headers is large - it's just not connected to the back of the PC. Then there are lots of cheaply available parallel port cards you can use on a modern PC. And of course it's not hard to get hold of an old PC second-hand.

It's a non-existent problem.

And most software that uses the parallel port will run on FreeDOS (if it's DOS based), or Win2000 or earlier - which is easy to install without any sort of activations to cause complications (now that XP is hard to get as a new license).

VMWare can let a virtual machine use the host machine's parallel port directly (I don't believe Virtual Box works with parallel ports, unfortunately).

Reply to
David Brown

On 06/09/2014 08:36 PM, hamilton wrote: [...]

Right. You'll have to modify the program to actually work with the different hardware. I do not think the programming algorithms are very timing sensitive, so hardware-wise it should work even with a serial bus in between. You'll want a bi-directional expander with about 16 bits of GPIO, not some black-box USB->Printer thing, but an actual chip with datasheet.

It all depends on how much time you want to spend...

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Kind of misses the point that the OP asked for cheap device programmer.

"Yes, its cheap, you just need to buy a $500 computer to make it work."

and save yourself the effort.

Reply to
hamilton

I missed the "cheap" part - I've seen people looking for /anything/ at pretty much /any/ price that will still work with their old parallel port stuff.

But I would be surprised if you can't get an old used PC for $50 that would have a parallel port and do the job, so it's not a completely wasted suggestion.

Reply to
David Brown

I think attempting to do low latency, timing-sensitive I/O over USB these days is a lost cause, and has been for years. But today's solution might be to stick an Arduino, Raspberry Pi or whatever on the end of the cable and have that handle the I/O.

The main awkwardness is code that expects DOS-style I/O (eg writing directly to parallel port registers using IN and OUT) or is lacking in source code to port to such platforms.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

22V10 parts need a device programmer, and the better ones of those are >> $100 for USB models. (eg ChipMAX2)

If you do not _need_ 22V10 but are ok with ATF15xx 44 pin parts, those have JTAG programming and can pgm using a FT2232D or FT2232H board. ( ~$27 )

Reply to
jg

The G540 USB seems to do these at a reasonable price...

Reply to
Dave

Thanks all,

I have the G540 USB on order now.