Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Much has been happening behind the scenes since you received our last
update, not least the start of compliance testing on the Raspberry Pi.

Why are we doing this? Compliance testing is an essential part of
bringing any electronic product to market. The Raspberry Pi is being
tested to make sure it conforms to all the regulations that apply to
electronic devices around the world. This means that we can be sure the
Raspberry Pi we deliver to you meets the correct standards and is as
safe as you would expect any electronic device you purchase to be.

We’re working with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to manage the testing
process as quickly as possible, while ensuring all tests are carried out
to guarantee safety.  More information is being posted on the Raspberry
Pi website , as well as on our own FAQ pages rswww.com or DesignSpark.
We’re also regularly tweeting updates on progress.  Follow
@RSElectronics on twitter to catch the latest news.

Alongside this, we’ve also been contacting the first group of people who
registered for a Raspberry Pi from RS, to help us plan delivery of the
initial batch of boards.  In next week’s update, we’ll provide more
information on how we’re managing the queue and the order process.

RS Components

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Just curious: Does this mean the first round was shipped without being
EMC tested?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

This obviously means the first batch has not been produced at all. At
least I'd expect people to report experiences with the RP if they
shipped a batch.
Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

So it was being sold without inventory on the shelves? Hmm ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

I think the first batch was produced, because I don't think they faked
their blog update about the wrong ethernet connector. But I wonder if
they have to dump the first batch, if the test fails. Maybe they can
sell it with a sticker "for use in EMC shielded cages, only" :-)

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more:

http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

They'll probably turn up on Ebay :)

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

From <http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/840#comment-16997 :

"I'm going to have to put a statement out about this later: in short, once a
certain number of orders were in, RS decided they didn't want to sell the
boards as dev boards (which was what we'd planned for the first, uncased units
- dev boards don't require CE marking - see Arduino, Beagleboard etc.) because
the sales volumes were so big they were worried someone with a similar or
competing product might try to cause some legal trouble over the definition of
development board. We're still trying to work out if we can get some out
earlier without CE marks to developers. We're rushing through compliance as
fast as is humanly possible at the moment."

-a

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

More reading:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/general-discussion/new-rs-email-compliance

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

And this is the discussion in the forum:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/general-discussion/new-rs-email-compliance

Looks like the customers are not amused. The foundation should have
tested it before. Is it allowed to sell it as a dev board? I don't think
the comments in the article are right, that it is not allowed to sell it
as a dev board, if they sell too many of it. There must be other
reasons, maybe the intended use of it.

This will cause a major delay, if they have to do all the things like
EMC, WEEE, CE etc. and then for all countries where they plan to ship
it. Maybe we'll get the first devices sometime in summer.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more:
Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

I got my order in on day one and Farnell are quoting delivery in
"early May".  This is presumably one from the first batch.

I too am very surprised that they haven't sorted out regulatory
testing. Even if the first batch of boards really is intended only for
"developers", it would be unfortunate if interface specifications such
as placement of ground pins needed to change to sort out radiated
emissions or ESD problems.

Lets hope it works out OK.

John

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

It does seem strange that there could be some magical, but unknown, number above
which it suddenly changed from a development board.!!!

More likely, is work on a case is driving this.

Once a case is offered/included, it gets harder to claim 'it is a development
board'.

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Well, those lawyers' world _is_ strange, from a technical point-of-view.

That said, there most likely is no particular, magical number.  There's
a gray zone between two ends of a spectrum of legal positions.  One end
of that spectrum consists of objects meant to be used by engineers who
are supposed to know what they're doing.  The other end of the spectrum
is made up of bona-fide commodity items like, say, cellphones.

As long as you're clearly on either end of that spectrum, you know
without significant doubt which kinds of rules you're going to have to
live by --- basically none for experimental, pro-only hardware, or the
whole CE certification shebang for commodity items.  There are some
intermediate points with well-defined rules, too, e.g. stuff only
licensed radio amateurs are allowed to use, or all higher classes of
laser equipment.

But all that knowledge doesn't help you if you find yourself in that
gray zone, away from all fixed points.  The type of distribution channel
the Pi is aiming at, particularly that whole "one Pi per child in
school" idea, makes it hard to defend the position that this is not a
commodity item.  It's hard to claim development board status if you
require no proof of qualification whatsoever from people you sell that
thing to.

The sheer number of sales has some bearings on that distinction, too.
If you're selling it by the million, it's not a development board.

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

I thought development boards are exempt anyway? I find it hard to
believe that all the hundreds of well regarded dev boards from Olimex et
al have been formally EMC tested. How could they be, most have headers
for direct access to the microcontroller pins.

The Pi will very likely fail any such test IMO.

--

John Devereux

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Yes, dev boards are exempt, the issue is whether rPi foundation can
support the claim that this *is* a dev board given the number of
boards sold and the type of users who are buying them.  From the quote
above it sounds like someone's lawyers got into the loop and added the
FUD.  So of course the bean counters then said, "Let's get the testing
done" since it can be pretty expensive if it turns out they get
whacked with fines, etc.

It's the right decision.

Rick

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

It is most definitely not a development board and they explicitly say so
in the FAQ:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Quote "What’s a Raspberry Pi? ... The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card
sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable
little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC
does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays
high-definition video".

Then, quote "We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to
learn programming".

By kids all over the world, to learn programming. That makes it rather
clear that is is marketed as a computer and not a dev kit.

It's not FUD, the lawyer was IMHO right.

Absolutamente. Someone has screwed up when they prematurely announced
this device. They should not have started sales before having all ducks
in the row and they clearly didn't have them in a row. At least they
fessed up and are doing the right thing now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

So it could be positioned as a software development kit.  And as a credit
card sized target for embedded SW development.

Yeah, that is a bit "soft".

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Yup, and I guess their laywers just had their comeuppance that that
won't fly in case it goes wrong somewhere :-)

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Gee, gee, gee... Is Dontronics is spreading FUD about the Raspberry Pi
again?

--
C,,

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt ]

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Not really. To be fair, Don reposted the same email from RS that I and many
others got, and without additional comment. The Raspberry Pi org is generating
 FUD all by itself! Fitting wrong components, now suddenly realising they need
to do compliance testing... as one of the posters on their forums said "it's a
shambles".

Of course, we forgive their amateur mistakes, because they are a well meaning
charity. However, it does not bode well for their real and more challenging
task, of providing support and training to teachers and students.

R.Pi themselves do not place great importance on producing their own hardware,
it's a means to and end (they are quite happy for it to be cloned). I guess
they thought it would be an easy place to start.

Given their limited resources, it would have made a lot more sense to create a
spec for a platform then invite manufacturers to build devices to the spec.

Re: Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!
 > Not really. To be fair, Don reposted the same email from RS that I
 > and many others got, and without additional comment.

Then why would a guy whose business sells 'competitors' need to
crosspost it everywhere?

--
C,,

Site Timeline