[Q] Old PC-ISA Data Bus Hold Time Requirement??

Hi all,

I would like to know if the ISA-Bus specification requires a hold
time for Mem/IO Read Cycle. I couldn't find the appropriate info
on the internet.

regards
Markus Meng

-

Re: [Q] Old PC-ISA Data Bus Hold Time Requirement??

Markus,

It looks like the minimum would be 121ns (1 bus cycle @ 8.33MHz for a
16-bit memory read; longer for 8MHz or 4.77MHz buses).  The typical ISA
duration can vary a lot by the circumstances, from 1.5 bus cycles to
more than 4.

ISA peripherals can be pushed much faster if you design to their product
specs instead of ISA timing.  For example, an RTL8019AS Ethernet
controller has a response time of 60ns.

In the other direction, the IORC minimum can be extended greatly if the
peripheral asserts the CHRDY signal - this should happen in the first
125ns, and IORC must be extended until it's de-asserted.  (You will run
into problems if you make IORC too short and ignore the CHRDY signal.)

FWIW, this info is covered in the Mindshare book ISA System
Architecture, which is well worth the money.  It's notably missing a
table of electrical specs, but it does cover it in the text and timing
diagrams.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

For curiosity, why are you asking?  Are you trying to access an ISA
peripheral, or is you device a peripheral going into an ISA PC?  What
problem have you run into?

Re: Old PC-ISA Data Bus Hold Time Requirement??

ISA-bus information is virtually non-existant these days.  This is bad
for anyone making PC/104 boards since that spec does not contain any
timing related data, but used to refer the user to the IEEE P996 spec
which
has been deleted.  I tried to find the IEEE P996 draft spec, but could
never find a copy.  The only remaining source of info with any great
detail is the book by Edward Solari, "AT BUS DESIGN".  I think this was
always the definitive reference and is the only one at this point.

My philosophy is to provide lots of setup and hold time since you never
know what spec the other devices are designed to.  Since modern logic
is faster than the logic used in the original ISA bus designs, a state
machine running at 4 or 5 times the actual bus rate can do a very good
job of providing adequate timing tolerances.

If there are any specific timing values you need, I can look them up
for you.

It appears that the hold time from rising edge of MEMR- or IOR- is 0
min.  The setup time is spec'd from the falling edge of MEMR- or IOR-
or rising edge of IOCHRDY and varies depending on the type of cycle.

Site Timeline