Protection Earth over PCB

maybe this question is a bit off topic here, but for a phase control
thyristor design I plan to use the Tyco Mate-N-Lok conntectors for a one hp
3 phase AC motor. These connectors have UL up to 600VAC and plugged only
without load.

I am shure that the PCB design can blow 3x16 Amp fuses but I am not shure
wether I can use the PCB to provide PE to the motor or I have to do the
complete PE wiring outside the board. Any hints for rules, text, UL, EN,
VDE ... ?

Re: Protection Earth over PCB
Hello Jrgen,

You have to consult the standards and regulations that are covering your
application. For example in my field which is medical electronics these
would be documents such as IEC601-1.

Usually there are some ground rules. One says that a connection for PE
cannot at the same time be a structural support. As an example this
means you can't use a screw that is also holding a panel or something
else in place. Next, the PE usually must remain uncompromised if a part
is removed. So if your PCB is removable that might be a concern.

Personally I would always make sure there is full PE protection outside
the PCB.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Site Timeline