ESD protection, earth / ground

Hello,

I read a lot of stuff about ESD protection. I know the difference between avalanche diodes and fast switching diodes, etc...

Let's see an example: a connector with 3 lines:

+24V signal (0-24V) 0V

My board have a large "earth" plane on one edge (where I put connectors). This plane is connected to the ground *outside* the board, at the power supply unit.

The ESD protection will be effective if I can discharge the energy far from my circuit, so the diodes will be connected between line and the earth plane.

Am I wrong here?

I'm going to use unidirectional TVSs with a working voltage of 24V for both power line and signal line.

And for 0V (GND) ? May I use a standard BAV99 with both terminal connected to the earth? In this way any spike that rises over the Vf will be clamped and discharged to the earth.

Is it correct? What do you recommend? Thanks in advance

Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

Wow! Where to start? First, you should review otheres' approaches.Then the vocabulary for suggestions will make more sense.

Explore the internet for solutions, explore Application Notes from vendors for solutions. See if you can get Henry Ott's book [there are others]. It will help you bridge between the ESD you're trying to protect your circuitry from and the super high frequency content of discharges.

Reply to
Robert Macy