processor choice for mpeg encoding

I'm starting to look at a home project for creating a stand alone
webcam server. What I'd like to do is have 3-4 usb inputs for webcams,
convert the inputs into mpeg and send the data out an ethernet port. I
want to be able to support real-time (or close to it) video processing
and run a web server in the box also, as well as a few other
housekeeping functions and bells and whistles. I'm looking at several
options for the processor: the ADI Blackfin, the ADI Sharc and the Arm
processor. I'm leaning towards the Blackfin most, but I'd like to know
if it has the processing power needed (being 16 bit fixed point, rather
than the Sharc 32 bit floating point) to handle 4 camera inputs.

I've done some work with DSPs before ( Freescale 56K series) so I'm not
too worried about dealing with any of the procesors I mentioned. I just
need some idea on handling the mpeg processing from multiple cam
inputs. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lee

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding

webcams,

If this is not a personal educational project, then every year at ISC
(and probably year-round by mail-order too), Korean manufacturers are
selling 4-head DVR cards for around $30. They will do almost everything
you're talking about, in hardware, with four NTSC inputs.

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding
Well, it is a personal educational poject, but I'm still pretty
flexible on the details at the moment. When you say everything, do you
mean support of usb, ethernet, web server in hardware? Or just the MPEG
conversion. If they do that in hardware, I certainly be interested in
finding out what they use to do the conversion. If I can do that in
hardware it would take a load of processing off the processor
(whichever one I choose).

Lee

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding

you
MPEG

The MPEG. They use ASICs (at least in the cards I've seen). Not much
use to you :)

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding

Streaming MJPEG over 100BT? HTTP? I've just completed a video capture project
(no CODECs or attempt at full video) because I could not find such a thing
for less than several k$.

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding

are
everything
project

The streaming is done by a PC running dedicated software, but the hard,
processor-intensive part is done in the $30 card. This hardware is very
common. Basically replacing time-lapse VCRs in the security industry.

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding

I think that answers the question, thanks. I wanted a capture card with
an ethernet interface, not a PCI card. Sony makes something, Axis has a
video server, and a few others, but these are expensive.

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding

We have a demo board at work from wischip with some ARM CPU and
their mpeg-4 encoder chip that I'm told does what you want -
ntsc in and serves mpeg-4 streams from a web interface.  I'm sure
someone makes a production version of such a thing.

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding

<snip>

The DSP that seems to be getting a lot of attention now for broadcast
quality apps is the TI 642 from the TMS320 series. They've just begun
shipping the 720MHz version, and thew word is that it's pretty hot.
Also, I have heard good things about the FFMPEG library on sourceforge.

Bill

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding
Bill,

The problem I have with the TI series is that they all come in BGA
packages. As a home project I'm not set up to work with BGAs. I'm
looking for something in a QFP or similar. That's also the reason a
client of mine ( a small engineering manufacturer) won't consider TI
DSPs. They're also not equipped to deal with BGAs in house.

Lee

not
just

sourceforge.

Re: processor choice for mpeg encoding

This is true for most smaller businesses I think. For one small project we
decided to use two FPGAs in a TQFP package instead of one in BGA. Having
them mounted is more expensive. We could also have used a single FPGA in
PQFP-240 but these were 4 times more expensive then the two seperate FPGAs
in TQPF together (and more difficult to solder by hand).

I'm wondering how this will end up in the future for small companies with
BGA and QFN becoming more and more common.

Jeroen

Site Timeline