Linux/Windows device drivers

I have a written a Linux driver to control a parallel port (bit bangs data
serially) and I want to port it to windows. The Linux device driver is
pretty simple, just a few ioctls and that's it. I have no experience with
windows driver development. Any help on any of the following, to get me
started, would be appreciated:

(1) I would like to find a simple skeleton driver that implements
ioctls - any recommended web sites, books etc?

(2) What tools do I need to compile the driver?

(3) What do I need to do to install it on a windows box?

Thanks,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.

Re: Linux/Windows device drivers
[snip]

You should probably repost your question over in

microsoft.public.developement.device.drivers

From the top of my head I would say you don't have to write a driver
at all. At least not because I know for sure that there are drives
around which let you bit bang the paralell port.

HTH

Markus

Re: Linux/Windows device drivers

The normal way to handle this on windows is to use the readily-available
"giveio" driver, which allows normal applications direct access to
hardware.  The application can the access the parallel port directly.  A
convenient place to look for examples of this sort of thing is something
like the msp430 gcc project, or the ColdFire/683xx bdm gdb project, both
of which support a parallel-port based debugger tool (jtag or bdm), and
support both windows and linux.  If you want to use a high level
language like python, the msp430 jtag project also has a python parallel
port module that should work nicely from either linux or windows.

David

Re: Linux/Windows device drivers

Thanks, I'll look into it.

My Linux driver is in fact for JTAG programming.

I wonder what throughput you get when programming memory with a tool that
uses the giveio driver? Of course it would depend on length of JTAG chain
etc, but a rough idea of what's been achieved would be good to know.

Thanks again for info.

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.

Re: Linux/Windows device drivers

What sort of device is it?  There are a fair number of open-source
projects for jtag support, both as general support and for specific
micros, for example http://openwince.sourceforge.net/jtag/ .

Site Timeline