Linux device driver for FPGA Xilinx Virtex-4

Hi,

I'm finding a linux device driver for FPGA Xilinx Virtex-4, somebody can help me?

thanks.

Reply to
greywolf82

Hi,

I'm looking for a Linux device driver for FPGA Xilinx Virtex-4, somebody can help me?

Thanks.

Reply to
greywolf82

There's no such thing!

Your device driver has to know the configuration of the interface that the FPGA is _programmed_ to implement. Since the FPGA is a universal part, there's no universal answer.

Or maybe you want to talk to the JTAG or other configuration interface rather than an operational one...

Reply to
cs_posting

link to a Virtex II Pro article

Your question is too general. Are you thinking about running linux on a PPC in a Virtex4 FX part. You will need to configure and adapt a kernel (OS).

-Newman

Reply to
Newman

article

I'm working with a board MPC8548CDS-like (PowerPC). Connected to processor local bus and with pci express there is a Virtex 4 (xc4vfx60).

-Marco

Reply to
greywolf82

article

The O'Reilly book Linux Device Drivers is good. I'd guess that the communication to the FPGA is via memory mapped I/O through the local bus You might browse sourceforge.net and see if you can find a similar driver and adapt it. I ended up writing my own simple one. I did the minimal in kernel (driver) space and put most of the end functionality in user space by creating library routines because it was convenient for the needs of my particular interface. It was my first driver. The whole concept I used worked quite well, but initially, I got criticized a lot by the snooty software folks. Good luck and have fun!

-Newman

Reply to
Newman

if your FPGA appears as a PCI device with PCI memory (instead of I/O space) you can just mmap it from /dev/mem. You need super-user priveleges to do that, but it means that the driver can run in user space.

Use scanpci to locate your device and setpci to read its PCI config

--
	mac the naïf
Reply to

article

I suggest that you configure the FPGA to do something that has exising drivers in the kernel. The simplest to implement would be /dev/nil. If you have a PCIe core for the FPGA a parallel port or timer should also be simple to do. If you are a little more ambitious you could implement a frame buffer graphics card. In all these cases you can use existing drivers without modification.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
comp.arch.fpga