Linux activity on ARM9

Just as a coarse finger to the wind, I'm interested in knowing about people
doing new embedded Linux project starts using ARM9's from Motorola, Atmel,
and others.  Any activity here?  Please respond here or privately by email.

Thanks.

Re: Linux activity on ARM9

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:25:53 GMT,

Hi Ian, and others.

I, and some others at Center for Embedded Software Systems at Aalborg
University, expect to start looking into getting Linux running on an
ARM9-based board (Cogent CSB337) within the next month or two.

We haven't received any hardware yet, though...so right now i am mostly
reading and trying to understand how to use Linux for embedded systems.

Also, we are looking at using the eCos operating systems
(http://sources.redhat.com/ecos ) on the same board.

Out of pure curiousity - why are you asking?

Best regards,
--Tue

--
Tue Brems Olesen          http://www.aye.dk
Svar til / reply to <tue  at  aye  dot  dk>

Re: Linux activity on ARM9

Thanks for the input.  I am asking because we are considering this as one
option for a new project architecture.  The ARM9-Linux user community seems
very small now, but it might be growning because of the low cost of some of
the new chips.  I don't know any way to really "measure" this, so I'm asking
here to hopefully get some indication.  We prefer our architecture to be as
"mainstream" as possible.

Re: Linux activity on ARM9
Hello Tue,

After your evaluation on the eCos, how about the result?

B.Rgds,

Jason -

Re: Linux activity on ARM9
Jason said for all posterity...

I'm curious as well.  I've been looking at eCos lately and would
like to hear anyone's experience with it.

My particular interest is with the Coldfire 5272 or 5282.

Casey

Re: Linux activity on ARM9

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:16:40 +0800,

Evaluation, hmm, i am hesitant to give any firm conclusions here, as i
have only worked with eCos for some weeks now, and i'm starting to get a
grasp of its architecture.

My impression is that eCos appears to be a solid, flexible OS in
general, but as no practical experiments has been conducted at the
moment, i don't know how well it supports the ARM architecture, and
specifically the Cogent development board and breakout box.

One point to be aware of, is that eCos is radically different from
Linux, in the sense that the eCos kernel is application-specific, i.e.
the application and operating system is linked to a single binary, which
then runs on the target.

If anyone has results or experiences from more practical experiments,
i would also be glad to read about them.

Best Regards,
--Tue

--
Tue Brems Olesen          http://www.aye.dk
Svar til / reply to <tue  at  aye  dot  dk>

Re: Linux activity on ARM9

Hi Tue,
Nice to see more interest for the AT91RM9200 Cogent Board.
I worked with Nohau U.S to convince Cogent to build the board early this
Year
I hope that You are aware of the existing Linux port for the chip.
If You drop me a mail,I can provide an ftp link to the AT91 ftp server.

If you want to design your own system, then we may be able to provide some
free chips.

I am quite often in Denmark, and Atmel plan to run some seminars there in
Aarhus in November.
Chek the Atmel website for info. It would be fun to meet.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
Re: Linux activity on ARM9
Hi Ian,
FYI, The Atmel AT91 support team has just released an App Note on How to
interface a Hard Disk Drive
to the AT91RM9200.  Drop them a mail and ask for it. use Atmel dot com,
userid: at91support

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
Re: Linux activity on ARM9

Alexander Popov                  ProSyst Bulgaria Inc.
RTOS Leader                      48 Vladajska Str.