silRTOS Port on ARM9

I am working on wireless MAC with ARM-9 based SOC. I wanted to port silRTOS on this ARM-9 based SOC. As i =91m newbie to ARM architecture, can someone provide me source for ARM port of silRTOS or help me out in porting?

Any help will be appreciated !!

- Mary

Reply to
mary06041981

Why? What makes you think that silRTOS is suitable for your project?

What needs to be done to port this OS?

What are you paying?

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

Reply to
Aashwini84

We evaluated many available RTOS and found silRTOS most suitable for our system from couple of points like #. silRTOS has small foot print for low overhead RAM/ROM & CPU cycles, yet clean embedded software. #. silRTOS supports basic services of task/ISR/sem/Q & simple Memory Management. #. silRTOS supports GNU Tool chain support with development host as WINDOWS/LINUX. #. silRTOS source available freely. #. silRTOS provide free support available for RTOS. #. silRTOS provides simple priority scheduling. #. silRTOS provides commercial usage FREE (NO one time change, NO productline charges, NO Royalty) #. silRTOS is widely used and ported to different architecture and even used in safe-critical applications.

We couldn't find any other RTOS which is small & free. Other RTOS have some or other constraints for usage. (Google)

silRTOS Port on ARM requires few functions to be implemented, which are processor specific like Context switch for ARM (Processor Register save/restore). I believe it should be fairly easy task for one who worked on ARM.

I believe here you refer silRTOS cost, as mention above that silRTOS is absolutly FREE for commercial usage.

Reply to
mary06041981

Wow - there are a lot of people recently who seem to know a lot about SIL RTOS and want to list out all its features, 'like' they swallowed the marketing manual...hmmm.

No, I've never heard of any either. Actually, hang on a minute, now I've thought of a several.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop
17 official architecture ports, more than 5000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Yes, it looks as it is marketing manual as we evaluated around 30 different RTOS datasheets and found most of them mentioning good about their RTOS and bad about others. All claim to be best & numero uno's :- ( but that i don't believe to be true. We selected silRTOS looking more for cost from our requirement.

Is FreeRTOS & SafeRTOS are free for commercial usage like silRTOS ? Also let us know for any other free RTOS?

Reply to
mary06041981

FreeRTOS.org can be used for free in commercial applications. Overview of T's and C's are here:

SafeRTOS is a fully safety qualified product and not free (although very reasonable). Of course if it is purchased with the qualification evidence and/or consultancy then all things are negotionable :o)

How are you calculating cost to your project? Cost to purchase, cost to get the system up and running, or cost over the lifetime of your product? Here I'm talking about 'cost of ownership', not purchase or license costs. FreeRTOS is free to download and use, it also benefits from the verification and validation provided by the SafeRTOS developments (although the two products are different), but there is commercial support and development available should you need it (saving you time and therefore money).

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop
17 official architecture ports, more than 5000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

of

You say it is free and then put T's and C's to follow else PAY :-(. Also one surely needs support / assistance for initial development on RTOS and here again PAY. Also why should one reveal that his product uses xyz RTOS in competitive world? For curiosity, does anyone use FreeRTOS for Wireless LAN client bases SoC?

ce

get

ere

Understand your point, but if you can get 'cost of ownership' absolutely free with support & assistance, why should one PAY. It is more like Windows versus Linux, but still there are people who prefer to use LINUX including me.

By the way got the ARM port for silRTOS and its running for me. Thanks for help & assistance from google group. Encourage people to use google group :) for any queries.

Reply to
mary06041981

It is.

What do you expect? The T's and C's are VERY liberal, designed to make it as easy for you as possible, but exist to protect me.

Are you expecting free support for a free product, for life? As it happens there is a very active support forum for FreeRTOS.org that is FREE FREE FREE!!!

Here are some questions for you -

1) What are you making? 2a) Can I have it for free? 2b) If not why should I pay for it? 3a) Will you give up your time to teach me how to use it for free? 3b) If not, why not?

...From my side the answers are:

1) A high quality mini real time kernel. 2a) Yes. 2b) Not applicable. 3a) Sometimes, you can use the free support forum and get lots of good advice (often from me). 3b) Not applicable.

That is the nature of open source software. Many open source products require that you also give >your< source code away.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop
17 official architecture ports, more than 5000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

The only thing I could find about "silRTOS" was a web page that indicated it could be downloaded for free, yet it was just a hyperlink to a mailto: address.

-->Neil

Reply to
Neil Bradley

Which is BTW non-deterministic: It depends on the number of ready processes AFAICS.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

That is the one. You need to send an email to get access to the zip. Having looked at it, I don't think it is worth the bother. The code is uncommented, undocumented and generates a pile of disconcerting lint warnings.

If free for commericial use is really important then you should go with FreeRTOS.org. It is far superior to silRTOS.

Not free for commercial, but free to try, and better yet is uC/OS-II from Micrium.

--
Scott
Validated Software Corp.

--- Fair disclosure: We are a Micrium partner and provide the
safety-critical Validation Suites for their products.
Reply to
Not Really Me

?
:

I totally disagree with you regarding these. I don't understand why you said code is uncommented. Each and every line has comments and describe the functionality with every function description are well documented. What do you expect? You say "undocumented=94?? What all documents you went through? They have very good RTOS internal documents, which describe each and everything of RTOS. Also they provide porting guideline documents to port RTOS on any architecture and provide free support to any queries within 24 hours. What are disconcerting lint warnings??? I don't see even single. Did you report this to Author?

How to conclude this? Can you describe clearly? It will be helpful for others for evaluation?

Reply to
mary06041981

We are clearly looking at different code sets. In the silRTOS.c I received, there are a total of 4 code lines containing comments. One is defining the internal task number and the other three are within multi-line macros.

The zip I received also contained no document files, just code, headers, makefile, link file and the Mips port files.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

I received that same file set when I asked for the ARM version: and it was the MIPS32 version. I nicely asked for the proper version but that was NOT available. I was invited to port it myself. Didn't do it because of the lack of documentation.

Arie

Reply to
Arie

The code (rev. 2.1.1) I received has at least on every function a comment. Since I earn my living write RTOS, it's well enough for me.

Hmm, maybe ask again. They might have changed policy ? I got a porting doc but also only the MIPS port.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @monlynx.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

If it is free and open source, why not email your package to him and eliminate all the hassle?

Michael

Reply to
msg

hmmm.. sorry got it .. I=92m using silRTOS rev. 2.2.0, which could explain discrimination among code observation ;( and some docs :(

Reply to
mary06041981

Few month back, i download silRTOS fro

and ran silRTOS on MIPS but have many question/doubt:

  1. Is it safe for critical/safety operations?
  2. Interrupt latency ?
  3. How good is the code?
  4. Why should i choose this comapre to vxWorks, which is most popular?
  5. Can source code tell about quality?

If i ask these question to vendor, they will always praise their RTOS s wanted to hear from embedded experts.

- Rob

headers,=

porting

Reply to
ROB

The author of silRTOS apparently wants people to ask him by email for downloads. Weird though that might be, I think it is appropriate to respect that wish and not post direct download links.

You have the source code, and you have access to information from the author. Look at the code, ask the author, measure the running system. There are very few people, as far as I know, who actually use silRTOS - the website has no information, so the curious developers are very unlikely to give it a second thought.

Ask the author. If he says yes, he's either telling the truth - or he is a dangerous amateur in this field. More likely, he'll say he doesn't know of any bugs or problems, but cannot give you any sort of guarantee or certification - if you choose to use it in critical systems, it's up to *you* to be sure it is safe (of course, that's true of any system, even if it is certified).

Check the code, ask the author, measure the code.

Look at and see - that's why you've got the code.

vwWorks is probably the "most popular" in certain tightly-specified niches, but since we don't know what you are working on, no one can tell you if it is an appropriate choice. There are vast numbers of embedded RTOS's and non-RT OS's available - the most popular and best choices depend on the requirements. It's *your* job to figure this out, not ours, and not the author of silRTOS.

Yes, obviously. But the source code won't tell you everything - I presume there is plenty of documentation for silRTOS as well (or else why are you bothering to look at it at all?).

It's free software (at least in price - as I say, I don't know the license). What incentive would the author have to give trumped up claims about the software? Given the website, or lack of it, it seems he is not too bothered about whether anyone uses the software or not. So try asking him - you've absolutely nothing to lose. Certainly you won't find many experts in silRTOS here - few people are interested in trying out some secret software available only be email. Of course, if you can persuade the author to make a website (even just a SourceForge project), provide information about silRTOS, or join comp.arch.embedded, then he'd see a lot more interested - we're always happy to learn about new RTOS's.

In the meantime, if you are looking for a safety-critical RTOS, I'd drop silRTOS. Even if it is solid software, the low usage means it has had little real-world testing compared to alternatives. Look at one of the big commercial systems like vxWorks if the features and price are appropriate, or look at

as an alternative. They have a full-featured open source RTOS, a low-price version of the same system with less license obligations, and a certified safety-critical version. They also have documentation, a large user base, and an author who will happily answer your questions here in comp.arch.embedded.

Reply to
David Brown