Interfacing IrDA to a PIC

I'd like to be able to control our PIC16F819-based product from a consumer-type IrDA remote control transmitter. It only requires 4 different functions to be recognized by the PIC.

Could someone please suggest an approach to adding IrDA reception to a PIC?

I'm willing to spend more time coding if it means less cost in terms of external components. BTW, the PIC16F819 has no internal UART, but there is no time-critical code in the PIC so, depending on what is required, it may be able to handle the reception in software.

Many thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

You can certainly do 115.2K IRDA reception entirely in software as long as you don't want to do too much else - there are many IRDA transceiver modules out there which are easy enough to use. Faster speeds may be a problem though.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

different

PIC?

You can purchase an IRDA transceiver as a single part (add LED current-limit resistor and the usual power filtering).

I assume you know that IRDA is not just 232 through an LED. ww.irda.org has specs.

Reply to
Richard Henry

different

PIC?

is

may

you don't want to do too

easy enough to use.

Thanks for the info Mike. Speed of transmission can be very slow (subject to the transmitter working at that speed), as the comms is simply to represent one of 4 buttons being pressed/released - Sorry, I should have made that clear in my original post.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Check out

Their processor used to be called the Scenix and it's very code compatible with the PIC's. Anyway, they had source code for both a full blown IrDA stack and IrComm which is an IR implementation of

232.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Kirkpatrick

Hi Jim, Do you actually mean IrDA? Most consumer IR remote controls don't use IrDA but have a much simpler protocol. Regards, Clive

Bundu Technology Ltd.
 http://www.bundu.com
Custom hardware & software design and development.
Windows, Palm, Linux & Embedded microcontrollers.
Clive Levinson

different

Hi Clive,

Yes you are right - after more research I realise it is not IrDA I need but a system compatible with a consumer-type IR remote control (I believe RC-5 encoding would be ok, for instance).

Thank you for your post, and to the other respondents for their time - apologies for the misdirection.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim wrote: : Hi Clive, : : Yes you are right - after more research I realise it is not IrDA I need but : a system compatible with a consumer-type IR remote control (I believe RC-5 : encoding would be ok, for instance). :

You may want to check out

- They have lots of information about IR remote controls, particularly using them in linux (but the general info will be helpful to you)

ttyl,

--buddy

Reply to
Buddy Smith