Interfacing IrDA to a PIC

I'd like to be able to control our PIC16F819-based product from a
consumer-type IrDA remote control transmitter. It only requires 4 different
functions to be recognized by the PIC.

Could someone please suggest an approach to adding IrDA reception to a PIC?

I'm willing to spend more time coding if it means less cost in terms of
external components. BTW, the PIC16F819 has no internal UART, but there is
no time-critical code in the PIC so, depending on what is required, it may
be able to handle the reception in software.

Many thanks,

Jim

Re: Interfacing IrDA to a PIC

You can certainly do 115.2K IRDA reception entirely in software as long as you
don't want to do too
much else - there are many IRDA transceiver modules out there which are easy
enough to use.
Faster speeds may be a problem though.

Re: Interfacing IrDA to a PIC
different
PIC?
is
may
you don't want to do too
easy enough to use.

Thanks for the info Mike. Speed of transmission can be very slow (subject to
the transmitter working at that speed), as the comms is simply to represent
one of 4 buttons being pressed/released - Sorry, I should have made that
clear in my original post.

Jim

Re: Interfacing IrDA to a PIC

different
PIC?

You can purchase an IRDA transceiver as a single part (add LED current-limit
resistor and the usual power filtering).

I assume you know that IRDA is not just 232 through an LED.  ww.irda.org has
specs.

Re: Interfacing IrDA to a PIC

Check out www.ubicom.com.  Their processor used to be called the Scenix and
it's very code compatible with the PIC's.  Anyway, they had source code for
both a full blown IrDA stack and IrComm which is an IR implementation of
232.

Scott

Re: Interfacing IrDA to a PIC

Hi Jim,
Do you actually mean IrDA? Most consumer IR remote controls don't
use IrDA but have a much simpler protocol.
Regards,
Clive

Bundu Technology Ltd.
Re: Interfacing IrDA to a PIC
different

Hi Clive,

Yes you are right - after more research I realise it is not IrDA I need but
a system compatible with a consumer-type IR remote control (I believe RC-5
encoding would be ok, for instance).

Thank you for your post, and to the other respondents for their time -
apologies for the misdirection.

Jim

Re: Interfacing IrDA to a PIC
: Hi Clive,
:
: Yes you are right - after more research I realise it is not IrDA I need but
: a system compatible with a consumer-type IR remote control (I believe RC-5
: encoding would be ok, for instance).
:

You may want to check out www.lirc.org - They have lots of information about
IR remote controls, particularly using them in linux (but the general info
will be helpful to you)

ttyl,

--buddy

Re: Interfacing IrDA to a PIC