How about Best Text Editor?

I've used a number of editors, including CodeWrite. These days, I find that I use gvim (Graphical Vi iMproved) which has most of what you've got on your requirements list if you can get over the mental hurdle of actually considering a vi derivative. :-)

I'm not sure what you mean by "point and click for most editing" since most of my editing involves typing. I wouldn't really want to have a pickboard on the screen to choose letters, but I suppose that it could be a feature to some. E.g. I built a system like that for a quadrapalegic fellow I knew some years ago.

I chose vi because it looked slightly easier to use than emacs, and is available everywhere. (I work on both Linux and Windows boxes daily.) I use gvim (or plain vim) under Windows and Linux with no problems. The big thing to remember is that you don't really need to learn

*everything* -- just the small subset of things you actually need.

Check out

for some screenshots and a gentle introduction.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Beroset
[Snipped]

One editing feature which I have only seen in xedit which beat even column editing is the following: In xedit and it's clones (kedit, the) it is possible to select all lines contianing a specific searchterm. (Search term can be as complex as one wants). One can then do block and any sort of other ededting, and ONLY the lines selected with the previous search are affected. Are there any other editors that has this feature ?

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

PFE has 32-bit versions as well - you can get it from

.

Even though it hasn't been developed for years, it's still a very nice editor. It is not so hot on features compared to more modern offerings, but it is small, very fast, and works well with lots of open windows visibile at once.

The author also licenses the editor commercially - I've seen programs (Lattice programmable logic software, for example) that use a newer version of PFE with syntax highlighting.

Reply to
David

about

appears

with

like

plus,

I have used codewright and found it slow and clunky. It took around 10 seconds to auto complete a function name even when I remembered the key sequence to get it to perform that action.

I use ED for Windows. I have had a great deal of success with it in a variety of langauges. It is easy to teach it assembler for a number of different processors so that the syntax highlighting and indentation work. It comes with support for a number of languages and writing your own support is easy - it took all of half an hour to configure it to understand our own scripting language.

Column mode editing - Tick

Regular expressions - Tick

Build by invoking Make scripts from a toolbar button - Tick

Point and click/drag and drop editing - Tick

Project based find/replace in files - Tick

One of the best features is the project source browser which takes you to the function code/type definition/#define in one mouse click.

Support response time usually measured in minutes despite the fact that they are in Australia and I am in the UK. more info at

Ian

Reply to
ian_okey

I have grown quite fond of EditPlus lately.

It is working out very well for me. Plus it is quite inexpensive too.

Reply to
Earl Bollinger

Alan Balmer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We only use Windoze platforms, and, as I said, we already use Codewright, and are quite happy with it, why learn yet another new one?

--
Richard
Reply to

Yes. Slickedit does. Selective display based on search (regex, of course), indentation level or braces, with a few canned ones like function definitions, function headings (showing comments before the function definition), hide current block, and hide all comments. Each line with hidden text after it has an expansion button to see the text.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Point and click to locate the cursor, highlight text, define blocks (possibly columnar -- I can't verbalize how handy that is, but it is), click and drag to move things.

Regular typing for composition, of course.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Good grief. To repeat the above: My advice was for Tim Wescott, who planned to go buy a copy, not for you.

My objection is to your recommendation that he should purchase Codewright instead of another editor just as good (imo better in a number of ways) without any knowledge of the other editor. Personally, I like to try editors, and have a passing familiarity with quite a few, so my recommendation is based on something other than blind devotion.

Enough of this thread.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

-- snip --

-- snip --

Nope; one more: thanks.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Agree, and just like a talented programmer can write Fortran in any programming language he/she does not need an editor. They just copy direcly from the keyboard into the compiler, if they use a compiler at all.

$FORTRAN TT:

/Leif

Reply to
Leif Holmgren

Oh, OK. Here's how that all works using gvim:

  1. Point+click locates the cursor
  2. Click, drag, release highlights text
  3. Click, ctrl-v, shift+click defines a columnar block
  4. cut (button, menu item or keyboard) and paste (button, menu item or keyboard) is the method I use to move things

Understood. Also, if it helps, I'm not an "editor evangelist" -- just somebody who got tired of being an editor nomad. In my case, I calculated that my brain cells had enough capacity to learn one more editor, but I vowed to make it my last one. I've been happy with my choice, but I use the editor daily and I am a very fast typist. If your usage is only occasional, or if you are a two-finger typist, you will definitely want something else. I hope that helps.

IMHO, there's very little objective information about editors available. Every single one of them is "Best In Universe For All Purposes And All Users" according to their users. In sorting out evangelists from pragmatists in general, I often find it useful to ask, "In what circumstances would this method/tool/technique be inappropriate?" If I get the answer that it's univerally applicable, I usually conclude that I'm talking to an evangelist and discount their "information" proportionately.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Beroset

snip

Actually I spend enough time at the keyboard that I've switched to Dvorak layout -- I got a 20% speedup in typing speed and I don't have to worry about anyone else messing with my machine (nor, unfortunately, do I have to ask myself if I can be productive on a QWERTY keyboard -- but then, its so broken they had to print the legend on the key caps!).

Does gvim do syntax highlighting, and can you configure the syntax highlighting with scripts?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Yes, it does. Esc-> : -> syn on. You can control syntax highlighting by editing a configuration file and sourcing it. For example, if mycolors.vim is your own configuration, you can have something like `source /path/to/mycolors.vim` in your .vimrc/.gvimrc, so that the syntax highlighting in mycolors.vim is read everytime vim/gvim starts.

I'd suggest you to look at vim.org. comp.editors is also a good place.

-siddharth

Reply to
Siddharth Choudhuri

Do you find it difficult to switch back and forth between QWERTY and Dvorak? Assuming that you do keyboard mapping in the OS, have you found that in certain situations the system insists on QWERTY? The obvious one is the BIOS settings, and Win9X users lose keyboard mapping in DOS mode. I don't know of a case where Linux/OS X/BSD get the wrong keyboard after booting, but I don't use Dvorak and so would not notice.

Reply to
Guy Macon

MED - Is that Matthias Pfersdorff's Mr. Ed? I used that on both OS/2 and Windows, but he stopped development on the OS/2 version.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer
[...]

Exactly, look at

The Windows version continues slowly. For example, folding is in the list of planned features since years. Nevertheless I like it very much for editing sources.

Oliver

--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
Reply to

Good to know that it's still around. It's a nice editor, and I found Matthias to be very responsive regarding bug reports and suggested features.