Future of Microchip Development Tools? See inside...

http://Microcontroller.com/Embedded.asp?did14%2

Atmel;  Moto... uh, Freescale(!);  8051;  ARM;  Microchip.

I'm taking a short survey of Microchip users to help decide what future
directions
development tools should take. The survey is confidential - I don't even ask for
your
email address, O.K.?

It's only 11 questions that should take you less than a minute. Unless you
really want
to get opinionated ("Embedded Developers opinionated?!?? Nah!!!") in which case,
go
ahead, "comment" to your heart's content...!

http://Microcontroller.com/Embedded.asp?did14%2

I'm basically trying to figure out whose development tools are completely
reliable, and
whose tools really suck. And it's your opportunity to say whatever you want to
say -
really!

Thanks for your support,

- Bill Giovino
  Executive Editor
  http://Microcontroller.com
  "Stamping out Bad Development Tools since 1995"

Re: Future of Microchip Development Tools? See inside...
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:22:54 -0500, "Bill Giovino"
directions
for your
really want
case, go
reliable, and
say -

MPLab is fine, but the cost of the C compilers for their family of PIC
and dsPIC processors is a consideration compared to ATMEL and GNU.

Regarding tools that suck, while  Analog Devices Visual DSP++ is
actually a pretty nice tool, the support of that tool really sucks.
If you try to do anything atypically your own your own. They don't
appear to have inhouse expertise on their own toolset.

Re: Future of Microchip Development Tools? See inside...

You can program dsPIC using gcc. Somebody has ported the microchip changes
over to linux. It would be nice to figure out how to use the
microchip runtime monitor to drive GDB, but I haven't gotten around to
that yet.

---
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

Re: Future of Microchip Development Tools? See inside...
I started using Microchip's dsPIC  on a project and abandoned it in
favor of TI.  The fact that I found the tools absolutely abysmal had a
lot to do with my decision.  The other factor was that for less money,
I was able to get a much more powerfull TI processor.

The tools crashed constantly and irrecoverably even took my development
project with it on one occasion

Re: Future of Microchip Development Tools? See inside...
On 1 Dec 2005 07:30:07 -0800, the renowned "Noway2"

Using C or assembly?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Future of Microchip Development Tools? See inside...
I worked with a friend on a project using the same processor (dspic
30F64 I think) .  That project was a combination of C and Assembly.  In
addition to the tools effing up a lot, I remember how much of a pain it
was trying to figure out how to define const variables in program
memory and access them at rum time.  It required the use of a program
visibility window or something similar.

I didn't even get that far on my project before switching to TI.  I was
using the MPLAB and the visual configuration tool to plan out the
desired pin assignments for the chip in preparation for PCB layout.  By
that point, I was displeased enough with Microchip that  I didn't want
to continue with using them any longer.  I would have to say, that
overall, I am as pleased with TI as I was displeased with Microchip.

Re: Future of Microchip Development Tools? See inside...

See, there's the problem.  You should never try to think about work during
"rum" time. :-|

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  It's Friday.

Scott

Re: Future of Microchip Development Tools? See inside...
I hear you there!  I must have had "rum" on the brain then too!

Site Timeline