Ethernet type 6950 not documented

Curiously I see on a LAN Ethernet type 6950 packets.
Type 6950 isn't assigned so I can't imagine what that
traffic might be -- other than a proprietary packet type.

Does anyone know whether 6950 is assigned but the
numering authorities are simply slow to update their
documents on the Internet?

Re: Ethernet type 6950 not documented

Hmm? I searched my copy (rfc1700_Assigned Numbers) for 6950 and nothing.
Perhaps I'm out of date also?

Who is sending you this packet?
So you know what top level software it orrigionates from?
What sort of data does it contain?
What happens if you respond with the same number?

I'm sure new protocols & numbers have to be tested before they are
assigned.

DaveC

Re: Ethernet type 6950 not documented

It's an unassigned number so I have to assume
that the company that's using it has proprietary
software that's making use of the number.

It's on a WAN that some of my own software
is running on which routes and filters -- can't tell
you who.  But when I see 6950 I discard it since
it's nothing I understand.

I think I'll ignore it.  :)

Re: Ethernet type 6950 not documented

Well you should :).. the internet was not made so that people could send
random unassigned protocols around. The whole point of it is that every
one knows what is going on. Even on a WAN, Even on an Intranet, Even in
your home between two computers.

What happens when this number is assigned by another group and you
update your OS? The world would be chaos :)

Check that there is not a list of non officialy assigned numbers. I'm
sure people developing protocols will need a number before sending
datagrams over the net, in order to test it. If not then be a good chap
and complain to IANA.

UDP is the only User protocol, I know of, that may be used to send
proprietry datagrams around.

DaveC

Site Timeline