High-density logic with simple, documented architecture ?

I have an upcoming project requiring a programmable logic device with three unique requirements:

1) It needs to have a simple, nonproprietary logical architecture, similar to the "sum of products" architecture of many PALs 2) It needs to have a well-documented architecture, i.e., I need to know how each configuration bit relates to the device's internal configuration. 3) It needs to be high density (as high as possible given hard requirements 1 and 2, above).

I'm not an expert on current product offerings, but it seems to me that today's high-density programmable devices (CPLDs and FPGAs) have become more complex & proprietary. Given my needs, am I stuck with the PLA devices of the 80s?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Chess

Reply to
chessaurus

The bit streams for XC4000 and Virtex devices are pretty well documented, as you can extract most of the info from the configuration guide of Virtex parts, the fpga editor, and JHDL's router/bitstream tools. There are a few otherwise hidden bits, but outside what you would normally program from what I understand. Readback/column programming gets you 98%???

Depends just how much you are willing to be flexible on 2.

Reply to
fpga_toys