Coldfire, RTOS, TCP/IP

I have a possible application that seems well-suited for a 5272 or

5282. The production quantity will be very low initially (like 50 or so), so of course I'm looking for a good low-cost OS and TCP/IP stack to use. At first glance, eCos seems promising but I'd appreciate hearing from others with some real experience.

The application is conceptionally fairly simple and involves accepting data from a synchronous serial interface and passing it via IP packets to a similar box at the far end that converts the packets back to a synchronous stream.

The tools need to run on a WinXP development host. I like command- line compilers, but that's just a personal preference. I've been doing 80C165-based products for the last 7 years.

I appreciate any ideas or thoughts.

Casey

I started with nothing. I still have most of it.

Reply to
Casey

Casey,

TCP/IP -> lwIP url:

RTOS -> uC/OS-II

small, simple , little overhead...

regards /jan

Casey schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: t2arb.20371$pL6.9@okepread02...

Reply to
Jan Homuth

=>

1) Direct message passing 2) 100% assembly => small/fast 3) No royalities. Compiler like license.
--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

Casey enlightened us with:

Sorry I'm a bit late replying, but eCos does indeed support Coldfire, but not very well in the public version. However eCosCentric (declares interest: my employer :-)) has a version which has been completely overhauled and cleaned up, and has been very well tested for the 5272, and there's the possibility of support for more Coldfire parts soon.

See

which is a bundle that includes royalty-free redistributable eCos, as well as extras not found in the public version like a PPP stack and an Eclipse-based IDE (i.e. project manager, editor, debugger, etc.). All with commercial support, just like you would want for any RTOS product you wanted to buy. Mail snipped-for-privacy@ecoscentric.com for more details.

Sorry about the advert :-).

Jifl

Jonathan Larmour

This RTOS is VERY similar to OSE Epsilon/OSE Delta. Use the ORIGINAL instead:

Regards,

Filip

Reply to
Filip

Similar in a way yes: It uses direct message passing. But there stops the similarity.

Sciopta is 100% Assembly, whereas OSE Delta is not. Sciopta is 100% dynamic, whereas OSE Epsilon/OSEck is not. Sciopta comes in full source code, whereas OSE Delta does not. Sciopta API is well designed an clear, whereas OSE API is not. Sciopta is cheap (no roylities), whereas OSE is not.

(I know of more reasons, but these are not for public eyes.)

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @epost.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

From Scioptas home page:

"Mr. Roland Lips has been named managing director of SCIOPTA Systems GmbH. Mr. Lips has over 25 years of experience in engineering, marketing and corporate management in the embedded tools industry. From 1999 to 2003 he was president at Enea OSE Engineering GmbH a subsidiary of OSE Systems Inc. where he was responsible for the OSE Epsilon product range. From 1995 to 1999 Mr. Lips was president at OSE Systems GmbH in Munich the first subsidiary of OSE Systems AB outside Sweden. Mr. Lips is also president of Litronic AG."

With that background it is no surprise that the architecture of Sciopta seems to be a carbon copy of OSE. The fact that Sciopta tries to solve some problems with the current OSE Epsilon/OSE Delta/OSEck offer does not make it a new technology... I find it very innovative to rename "Link Handler" to "Connector", but that and other cosmetic changes does not improve the concept of Sciopta comparing it to OSE.

Reply to
Filip