Coldfire, RTOS, TCP/IP

I have a possible application that seems well-suited for a 5272 or
5282.  The production quantity will be very low initially (like 50
or so), so of course I'm looking for a good low-cost OS and TCP/IP
stack to use.  At first glance, eCos seems promising but I'd
appreciate hearing from others with some real experience.

The application is conceptionally fairly simple and involves
accepting data from a synchronous serial interface and passing it
via IP packets to a similar box at the far end that converts the
packets back to a synchronous stream.

The tools need to run on a WinXP development host.  I like command-
line compilers, but that's just a personal preference.  I've been
doing 80C165-based products for the last 7 years.

I appreciate any ideas or thoughts.

Casey

I started with nothing. I still have most of it.

Re: Coldfire, RTOS, TCP/IP

Casey,

TCP/IP -> lwIP url: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/lwip /
RTOS -> uC/OS-II www.ucos-ii.com

small, simple , little overhead...

regards
/jan

t2arb.20371$pL6.9@okepread02...

Re: Coldfire, RTOS, TCP/IP

=> www.sciopta.com

1) Direct message passing
2) 100% assembly => small/fast
3) No royalities. Compiler like license.

---
42Bastian
Re: Coldfire, RTOS, TCP/IP

This RTOS is VERY similar to OSE Epsilon/OSE Delta. Use the ORIGINAL instead:

www.ose.com

Regards,

Filip

Re: Coldfire, RTOS, TCP/IP

Similar in a way yes: It uses direct message passing.
But there stops the similarity.

Sciopta is 100% Assembly, whereas OSE Delta is not.
Sciopta is 100% dynamic, whereas OSE Epsilon/OSEck is not.
Sciopta comes in full source code, whereas OSE Delta does not.
Sciopta API is well designed an clear, whereas OSE API is not.
Sciopta is cheap (no roylities), whereas OSE is not.

(I know of more reasons, but these are not for public eyes.)

---
42Bastian
Re: Coldfire, RTOS, TCP/IP

From Scioptas home page:

"Mr. Roland Lips has been named managing director of SCIOPTA Systems
GmbH. Mr. Lips has over 25 years of experience in engineering,
marketing and corporate management in the embedded tools
industry. From 1999 to 2003 he was president at Enea OSE Engineering
GmbH a subsidiary of OSE Systems Inc. where he was responsible for the
OSE Epsilon product range. From 1995 to 1999 Mr. Lips was president at
OSE Systems GmbH in Munich the first subsidiary of OSE Systems AB
outside Sweden. Mr. Lips is also president of Litronic AG."

With that background it is no surprise that the architecture of
Sciopta seems to be a carbon copy of OSE. The fact that Sciopta tries
to solve some problems with the current OSE Epsilon/OSE Delta/OSEck
offer does not make it a new technology... I find it very innovative
to rename "Link Handler" to "Connector", but that and other cosmetic
changes does not improve the concept of Sciopta comparing it to OSE.

Re: Coldfire, RTOS, TCP/IP

Sorry I'm a bit late replying, but eCos does indeed support Coldfire, but
not very well in the public version. However eCosCentric (declares
interest: my employer :-)) has a version which has been completely
overhauled and cleaned up, and has been very well tested for the 5272,
and there's the possibility of support for more Coldfire parts soon.

See http://www.ecoscentric.com/ecos/ecospro.shtml which is a bundle
that includes royalty-free redistributable eCos, as well as extras not
found in the public version like a PPP stack and an Eclipse-based
IDE (i.e. project manager, editor, debugger, etc.). All with commercial
support, just like you would want for any RTOS product you wanted to
buy. Mail snipped-for-privacy@ecoscentric.com for more details.

Sorry about the advert :-).

Jifl