RTOS with support for TCP/IP sockets on Spartan 3E

Hello,

I like to design a prototype network application on a Spartan 3E board, and would need to have an RTOS with support for TCP/IP sockets.

Which soft core processor and RTOS would be recommendable to use on Spartan

3E board, to have access to TCP/IP sockets that direct to the Ethernet port on the Spartan 3E board?

Does the soft core processor come with a compiler for writing software in C?

I like to have C compiler where I can use sockets, etc.

Once the prototype is ready on the Spartan 3E board, is it easy to convert it to a PCB board (containing the FPGA and Ethernet circuitry)?

Thanks,

Pascal

pascal_sweden

Well have you looked at SDK and the Microblaze processor from Xilinx? The compiler is GCC and AFAIK, there is a lot of support from RTOS vendors. You can even use FreeRTOS

Benjamin Couillard

Few RTOS's by themselves have TCP/IP support -- you either need to use a honkin' big RTOS (like RT Linux, or VxWorks), or you need to buy a little RTOS and someone's TCP/IP software ala cart.

What you want depends on what you're doing, but you may want to take a look at Micrium's offerings.

Most do.

Any C compiler will let you use sockets -- because TCP/IP sockets have nothing to do with the compiler. They have everything to do with what the OS (or the separate TCP/IP stack) provides, though.

If your level of knowledge of electronics is as low as your level of knowledge of software, it'll be an uphill battle. But you'll certainly come out the other side smarter than when you went in.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Spartan

port

convert

It is possible to run LwIP on a MicroBlaze in a Spartan 3.

RCIngham

an

rt

There's several RTOSes supported for OpenRISC, and a few SoC projects on OpenCores which have support for some commodity Spartan 3 boards that could get you up and running quite quickly. I believe there's a port of lwIP floating around for OpenRISC, too.

It sure does.

Julius