AVR IPS programming problems

Hi all,

I have a very annoying problem: I have an existing design with an
ATmega8515, with an ISP connector setup as specified in one of the Atmel
appnotes about implementing an ISP connector. It uses a network on the reset
line, with a 10k resistor to VCC, a 4n7 cap to ground and a diode across the
resistor for protection. This has always worked on a 2313, a 8515 and a
Mega8515. I recently upgraded the design to a Mega162 and since then 1 out
of three times the board refuses to have the configuration fuses programmed.
Also reading the chip ID gives random results many times. Once the fuses are
programmed successfully (to use an external crystal at 8MHz), everything
runs fine and the code can be programmed too.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Meindert

Re: AVR IPS programming problems

I'm using a similar network, 10k up, 100nF to GND and 100 Ohm
to the ISP.

Hmm, the lot runs on 5V or perhaps lower ?
I once found that there is some bit timing, which is dependent on
the voltage. While at 5v is was 3ms per bit, it increased to 9ms
at 3.3V or so. The programmer, in my case the Equinox from
Meridian has the short value fixed. Fortunately, it was editable
somewhere in the options. Took me a day.
We also had problems with the Mega 163, they got better once we
moved to the 323 and now at the Mega32 there weren't any yet.

As of the Mega162 I know nothing.

Rene

Re: AVR IPS programming problems

Everything runs at 5V.

I'm using the STK500 utility from Atmel. No timings to set. I cannot find
anything about it on Atmel's website either. I'll try an upgrade of
AVRStudio in the next couple of days.

Meindert

Re: AVR IPS programming problems
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:04:14 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"

Try PonyProg from www.lancos.com

Re: AVR IPS programming problems

Wouldn't it be logical that the tools from Atmel would work? :-)

Meindert

Re: AVR IPS programming problems

Not necessarily.
Similar to Microchip, software is not thir business.
It took Microchip about 10 years after the release of
23bit windows to come out with a 32bit MPLAB.

Just in case : There is a Pascal compiler for the AVR
that comes with programmer.
http://www.e-lab.de , including libraries, forum and the lot.

Rene

Re: AVR IPS programming problems
On Monday, in article

 ^^^^^

That is the best unintentional description I have come across for ages :-^

Re: AVR IPS programming problems
Hi Meindert,

Just a thought - Is your STK500 using the latest latest firmware as
included with the latest build of AVR Studio?

Re: AVR IPS programming problems
out
programmed.

I'm not quite sure. I haven't downloaded the latest version yet, so that
might be the problem. The STK500 utility itself is V1.40. I'll check that
anyway. Thanks for the hint.

Meindert

Re: AVR IPS programming problems

Hi Meindert,

the problem could be the SPI timing. The mega162 runs at 1MHz when the
fuses are not programmed.

There is a command in the STK500 protocol to slow down the SPI.
However, I don't know about the STK500 utility, because I use Linux.

/Jan-Hinnerk

Re: AVR IPS programming problems

If that is the problem then
Just lower the STK500 clock on the first programming , until fuses are
set correctly.

Carsten

Re: AVR IPS programming problems

And the $64.000 question is: How?

Meindert

Re: AVR IPS programming problems
reset
the
programmed.
are

Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I completely failed to notice
the -! option to set the clock frequency. I have set it to 1MHz and all
devices program fine now.

Regards,
Meindert

Site Timeline