AT91RM9200

I am interested in putting together a board based on the AT91RM9200 that has
a network stack.  It needs to be an HTTP client.  I don't really need an OS,
as the things function is very, very simple, but I'm not opposed to one if
tooling costs and complexity are minimal.  I would also prefer GNU, but will
pay the $5K for the ARM or GH tools if I have to.  What I really need is a
network stack that will drive it's on-board Ethernet.

Does anyone have experience with this part, and how to get started with
something like this?

Re: AT91RM9200

Cogent (http://www.cogcomp.com ) make an at91rm9200 based board - the CSB337.
It's about $400. I'm not sure if anyone's ported Linux to it, but RTEMS
does run on it.

--
Jay Monkman
http://www.lopingdog.com

Re: AT91RM9200

CSB337.
Thanks!

They're selling an RTEMS BSP for about $6000, so ~$6400 looks like the
lowest priced option so far..

Re: AT91RM9200

Hello All,
My coworker and I are in the process of porting Linux to the Cogent
CSB337. Much of the work has already been done for the AT91RM9200-DK
($5k), so we are building on that. We have the serial ports and
ethernet working, and have used both ramdisk and nfs mounted roots.
Using linux-2.4.21, gcc-3.3.1, glibc-2.3.2, and binutils-2.14. Also
have gotten uClibc and busybox going.

We'll submit a patch and new machine type to
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk once we get a respectable number of
devices going (not for a couple weeks at least). Let me know if you
want our current setup (building the toolchain and kernel is easy).

Chris

Re: AT91RM9200
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:45:16 GMT, "Ian McBride"

Does it have to be the AT91RM9200 ?
I have just ordered the UNC20 development board which has a NET+ARM
(NS7520) with uCLinux. http://www.unc20.net

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: AT91RM9200

I had looked at the NS7520, but was leaning toward the Atmel part because it
has many uarts and serial ports.  However, the unc20 has an out-of-the-box
IDE connector, which is something missing on the cogent board for the
AT91RM9200.  What is the ordering information for the ucLinux development
kit with the unc20?

[Also, just out of ignorance, I assume that ucLinux supports the ISO9660
filesystem, and allows an application to play audio from a CD drive if a CD
is inserted?]

Re: AT91RM9200
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:46:52 GMT, "Ian McBride"

I am not aware of an IDE connector for the UNC20. AFAIK it supports
CRAMFS (Ram file system), a Flash file system and NFS. You can of
course mount your ISO9660 CDROM over NFS. The NS7520 has 2 UARTs
which are capable of HDLC as well.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: AT91RM9200
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:45:16 GMT, "Ian McBride"

We haven't ported our system to the AT91RM9200 yet, but have done
several other ARMs, including the Samsung parts with intergrated
Ethernet. A complete open Forth, TCP/IP stack, echo server, and
multithreaded Telnet and Web (with CGI and ASP) servers occupies
about 110 kbytes. Costs are:
  Compiler   GBP 1250   ~USD 1950
  TCP/IP         2495        3870
  -------------------------------
                 3745        5820

It isn't in C, but it's there and it works.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@mpeltd.demon.co.uk
Re: AT91RM9200

Take a look at

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos /

It hasn't been ported to AT91RM9200, but might be worth a look.

It's free so you have 5k left for porting ;-)

 Jan-Hinnerk

Re: AT91RM9200

 ftp://at91supp:support@81.80.104.162/OUT

--               /"In some crude sense, which no vulgarity, no humour,
PabloBleyerKocik/ no overstatement can quite extinguish, the physicists
 pbleyer       / have known sin and this is a knowledge which they
  @embedded.cl/ cannot lose." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer (1947)

Re: AT91RM9200
So, just to make sure I am understanding this, Atmel has published a uCLinux
distribution for their AT91RM9200 development kit?

Re: AT91RM9200
uCLinux

No it is full Linux.
Ulf Samuelsson
(I work at Atmel so I should know)

Re: AT91RM9200

Is there somewhere on the Atmel web site from which I can download
this?

Re: AT91RM9200

    http://tinyurl.com/ndwk

Re: AT91RM9200

 Nope. Different from the previous AT91 devices based on the ARM7TDMI,
AT91RM9200 is based on the ARM920 architecture that contains, among
other things, an MMU. This means the 9200 is capable of running plain
Linux.

 Regards.

--                /"Malgré les murs qui ensevelissent
PabloBleyerKocik / LA CROIX DU SUD
 pbleyer        / Est le seul avion qui subsiste"
  @embedded.cl / -- Aéroplane, Vicente Huidobro

Re: AT91RM9200

has
OS,
will
If you get the development kit for the AT91RM9200 there is a Linux port
available "running off the shelf".
Cost for the board is $5k.
You can get the Linux port separately free of charge, but then there is a
porting effort
to, lets say, the Cogent board.
The main difference between the DK and the Cogent board is the on board LCD
controller
The Atmel board is using a more advanced version.
Why IDE; is not the flash card connectors what You are looking for?
YOu might be able to run over USB (at reduced speed)

Ulf Samuelsson

Re: AT91RM9200

This application uses an ATAPI CD ROM drive.  I need to pull files off of
the CD and store them into dataflash.  This box can connect to its server
over the Internet, but if this connectivity is not available, the service
provider mails out physical media once a month, and CD's are by far the
cheapest.

This application target board also has to decode MP3 files among its various
functions.  It looks like there is an AC97 codec on the devkit board, and I
assume I can find reasonably priced ARM920T MP3 decoders.

Re: AT91RM9200

Well, that certainly works.  However, the ARM9's got enough horsepower to
decode the files itself, and your DK's got a codec on it that would work
nicely.  Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to get source code for a
good, fixed-point MP3 decoder optimized for ARM?

Re: AT91RM9200
Hello,

Could you give me a rough price of this chip ?

Greetings,

          Martin

Re: AT91RM9200

Dont really know, but my guess is that it should be $5 - $10 in some decent
volume.