Soldering Copper to Phosphor Bronze

Does anyone know if soldering copper wire to Phosphor-Bronze make a
solid and reliable electrical connection?

Would it make much of a difference if the copper wire is stranded or
solid?

If there is a better wire material for this or any problems I should
watch out for I'd appreciate it. (I'm only concerned about getting the
best permanent connection possible).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Re: Soldering Copper to Phosphor Bronze
In article

I've no idea on Soldering it, i'd guess not but never tried.

Could you not 'pin' on a round terminal with a screw or bolt?

--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6          terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
Re: Soldering Copper to Phosphor Bronze

I never tried that, but what I would do is try it on a text section
first. Silver solder and solder should be tried. The criterion of
"solid" can be evaluated by a visual inspection and with a microscope.
The criterion of "reliable" can be tested during a 1000 hour burn-in
using an intermittent bath of salt water. Then it can be examined for
corrosion rates compared to simultaneous evaluation of a control group
of solder connections using more standard materials. My guess is yes,
the solder connexion will be solid and reliable with solder or silver
solder. What is the percentage of phosphorus in the bronze? Copper can
be soldered easily with or without stranding.

Re: Soldering Copper to Phosphor Bronze

It should be about as good as anything, eg: they soldered the wires to
the P-B contact springs in old-style telephone relays.

not much difference

haye you considered spot-welding instead of soldering

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

Re: Soldering Copper to Phosphor Bronze
On Sat, 28 May 2011 21:37:59 -0700 (PDT), Searcher7

---

http://www.anchorbronze.com/c51000.htm

Re: Soldering Copper to Phosphor Bronze

Soldering should work fine. Welding/brazing might be a touch better, but
not in practical terms if the soldering is done correctly.

Re: Soldering Copper to Phosphor Bronze

Requires a largish *lap* joint, scrupulous cleanliness, degreasing,
plenty of flux and nearly too much heat.
No butt, corner or tee joints allowed.

http://www.efunda.com/processes/metal_processing/images/weld_joints.gif

--Winston

Re: Soldering Copper to Phosphor Bronze

No problem with 40/60 tin lead solder and rosin flux.

George H.

Re: Soldering Copper to Phosphor Bronze

Ok,

Thanks everyone.