soldering phosphor bronze pins to PCB

Hi all,

I'm not sure this is the good place where to post this, please advise a better NG in case it exists.

I'm working on the soldering process of a component with phosphor bronze pins onto a fairly standard FR-4 multilayer PCB. The component is a light detector (MPPC: Multi Pixel Photon Counter) and I still do not know what is the amount of heat to deal with.

Is there any recommendation on soldering this components on a pre-tinned pad? Anything special on thermal behavior which should be considered? For instance I have seen a power mosfet mounted without stress release on the soldering point on a the thru-hole one-sided pad that after several ON/OFF cycles caused the joint to crack.

Any hint is appreciated.

Al

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

This is a pretty low volume group. You are likely to have better luck over in sci.electronics.design, so I'll cross-post over to there. There are some photon pushers that hang around s.e.d regularly, as well as numerous designers and prototype builders who might have experience with a similar part.

Of course, if there's a specific part number or datasheet link that you could post, that would help to narrow the focus.

(Follow-ups set to s.e.d)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to