ISO: Phosphor tester for IR?

One (European) source is Roithner Lasertechnik

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Radio Shack used to have 'em, part number 276-0099, if that helps.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I got mine at Radio Shack. They're pretty common... google 'ir test card'

Most digital cameras will see near IR, 850 nm for sure... they often image as purple. I don't know about longwave, 1310 or 1550, but led's are usually close to visible.

Are you doing fiber or free space? What wavelength?

John

There are two basic IR to visible systems. One absorbs pairs of photons between 940 nm and 980 nm and releases that energy around 525 nm (green). This system will not work with 880 nm IRLEDs, but does pretty well with the 940 nm and

950 nm (which put out a little energy at 980 nm IRLEDs.

The other system involves a phosphor that you charge up with visible light and discharge with IR energy over a broad range of wavelengths.

Google [ir indicator]

Reply to
John Popelish

Hi, all:-

ISTR some little cards or something like that which would glow green(?) when exposed to IR light from an IR LED.

Are available easily these days?

I want to give something to techs checking out high speed IR connections in the field.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

1.3uM is hardly "long-wave" IR. 3uM or greater is regarded as LW IR. I suspect a camera pix sensor is good to around 1100nM.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

How about something like:

I have one for checking my remote controls... Works great for those.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn\'t any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra
Reply to
DaveM

They're using a camcorder now. I'd like something more convenient. ;-)

Both, and not sure.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That is a silicon sensor (photo diode or transistor) in a filter package (epoxy with a visible blocking filter that passes near infrared), with a simple linear amplifier driving a green LED. The detector is essentially the same as the kind the remote normally communicates with.

Reply to
John Popelish